Hey! Why delete my thread??

albertlee

I recently put up a thread asking things about the suitable OS for people to learn the skills hackers aquire.....

I don't mean crackers or anything like that....

I think the one who deleted my thread is merely ignorant.....

What on Earth do you guys consider discuss something about hackers inappropriate???

Hackers are just computer masters, they obtain the big idea of computer science, and are very intelligent people, since computer sience apply to many things.....and relate to many things....

Isn't Linus Torvalds a hacker as well?? so as Eric Raymond??

I just want to learn computer very well, as hackers or computer masters, but I just want to ask what Unix/ Linux OS there is available for mac and any doc to start out for ppc??? since they are open-source, unlike Mac OS X, which is partially open source.....

Seriously, some people here are really evil! :mad:

Hi albert. I'm the one that deleted your post, and I did so because I assumed you were referring to the negative connotation of the word "hacker", more properly "cracker". I apologize for my confusion.

Ok, that matters not... :)

I am always wondering...

I first knew the word 'hacker' 6 years ago.

What does 'hacker' mean 50 years ago???

Any way, will apreciate for any one refering to my 1st post....

thanks!

Albert

nohh

that's cracker.

Hackers love freedom, but that doesn't mean they hack into a bank and steal money from them...

I bet you never been to FreshMeat.Net

there are lots of Open Source Projects, and who do you think keep them thriving?? Hackers!!

As I said hackers are computer masters, their aim is simply to make things free, like software or even knowledge....try to make things on web free...

I even think that the wikipedia's developers are hackers as well....

The best thing about Open Source software is that I can learn a heck of knowledge from its code, instead of pressing Next, Next, and Finish.

Any way, that's just my idealogy, but the first thing of all is to get an OS right! :)

Albert

Who knows, a hacker does access illegally to servers, but as long as they do that for

1) practice of their skills

2) getting information

3) leave secretly without making any ruffle and delete the entry log, just looks nothing like anything never happened, who is going to know a server has been hacked?? :rolleyes:

What ever, just refer to my first post...

thx

Albert

I just want to learn computer very well, as hackers or computer masters, but I just[/b'] want to ask what Unix/ Linux OS there is available for mac and any doc to start out for ppc??? since they are open-source, unlike Mac OS X, which is partially open source.....

a good url for you is

http://www.distrowatch.com

Lots of linux distros are listed there.

When you are looking at a specific distribution, there is table of the different versions currently released. If you look for:

Processor Architecture

If PPC (PowerPC) is listed then that means that there is a mac version avaliable as they run PPC processors.

Most if they support PPC will also have documentation about how to install etc...

Good luck, I'm planning on installying ubuntu linux tomorow or the day after on a i386. I would probably suggest that before you adopt an os try out the live cd, alot of distros do these, they are cd's which you boot streight into an installed os, no need to install it on your hard disk.

Who knows' date=' a hacker does access illegally to servers, but as long as they do that for

1) practice of their skills

2) getting information

3) leave secretly without making any ruffle and delete the entry log, just looks nothing like anything never happened, who is going to know a server has been hacked?? :rolleyes:

What ever, just refer to my first post...

thx

Albert[/quote']

which is still totally illegal anyway...

probably why your thread got deleted.

There are lots of novels about how hackers are different from crackers. Go search some in your local library. Also, this book, called The Blue Nowhere, is an easy read and it is about how hackers are different from crackers, shows, although in 3rd person omnicient POV, what Albertlee is trying to illustrate.

I see everyone here is qualified to make such a distinction.

You're just being politically correct, but really, it doesn't matter. If you mean a cracker who isn't a hacker, then just say "script kiddy." Lol.

Anyway, as for their operating system, you could use anything. It's all about information. Of course, the control, freedom, community, and l337ness that linux provides is obviously enticing.

I just want to learn the skill hacker aquires.

And understanding the system completely itself is definately one of them, because hackers should know how does the computer work by looking the source code, and more over, to learn how does Internet work in relationship with the OS....

and those opensource OS available is either linux or unix.... and mac is only parital

Albert

I had experience of installing FreeBSD and Linspire on my other x86 laptop, and although they can be installed, but some hardwares were not supported, especially annoying when it was my PCMCIA wireless LAN card.....

Since I would like to have a distro of unix system for my iBook, because I can directly learn from it because I have the book, but I cant find any unix system on distrowatch which support the best iBook (ppc G4 1.33 with Airport, 15' screen), with ALL its standard hardware......

so any help??

thx

I think Yellow Dog is designed specifically for the mac archetecture. I do know that (unlike Windows) almsot all Linux distros will run on any peice of hardware.

Yellow Dog (again, if I remember correctnally) sounds like a pretty cool distro. Bassed on Fedora Core but it's customized and has a bunch of cool stuff...I don't know, I just liked it when I read about it.

See what you find out about it.