Questions regarding human microbiota

... At least one person receiving a fecal transplant from an obese person became obese themselves ...

Was that a causal relationship?

Nobody knows (the obesity was morbid, and developed rapidly in an older adult never before overweight, so it was noticed). In the mice, it was causal (Koch's Postulates satisfied, mutatis mutandis).

Was that a causal relationship?

it's only been closely looked at mechanistically for not that long. Certain bacteria in the transplant may directly, or indirectly, facilitate more nutrient absorption in the recipient, leading to weight increase. The converse is believed to happen as well with the appropriate bacterial profile.

it's only been closely looked at mechanistically for not that long. Certain bacteria in the transplant may directly, or indirectly, facilitate more nutrient absorption in the recipient, leading to weight increase. The converse is believed to happen as well with the appropriate bacterial profile.

I was looking at it from a different perspective. Could we save money by getting more value out of out food by having a different set of gut microbiota?

I have been running an "experiment" on myself using probiotic yogurt and yogurt cheese. One thing that I noticed I was losing only a little weight (probably due to consuming less sugar in my tea and coffee) but my bowel motions are now less frequent, so I was wondering if I am digesting my food better.

You say "facilitate more nutrient absorption", that sounds more a gut wall function, but could it be more a matter of nutrient availability, the microbiota improving the breakdown of the food?

Bacteria may predigest more nutrients thus increasing the available energy to the host before being absorbed. Conversely, bacteria can parasitise nutrients and also their sheer numbers can physically inhibit absorption by acting as a barrier, leading to a slimmer host. if gut transit time has increased then a person needs more fibre. Try adding porridge and apples to your daily diet. If you are eating less that would explain the reduced frequency.

If you are trying to lose weight, choose meals with a high physical density. Bread, biscuits, crisps, as examples, have low density because you can crush them much smaller. This has the effect of leaving you satisfied only for a short time before the desire to eat again comes. High density stuff, like porridge,potatoes, soup will keep you from wanting to eat again for a fair bit longer. Higher density foods persist longer in the stomach.

Edited by StringJunky

Bacteria may predigest more nutrients thus increasing the available energy to the host before being absorbed. Conversely, bacteria can parasitise nutrients and also their sheer numbers can physically inhibit absorption by acting as a barrier, leading to a slimmer host. if gut transit time has increased then a person needs more fibre. Try adding porridge and apples to your daily diet. If you are eating less that would explain the reduced frequency.

If you are trying to lose weight, choose meals with a high physical density. Bread, biscuits, crisps, as examples, have low density because you can crush them much smaller. This has the effect of leaving you satisfied only for a short time before the desire to eat again comes. High density stuff, like porridge,potatoes, soup will keep you from wanting to eat again for a fair bit longer. Higher density foods persist longer in the stomach.

Yes I think you are right. The bacteria themselves need feeding and they have probably evolved ways of resisting their own destruction, but they secrete enzymes and the byproduct could be shared by both itself and the host. Unless you really weighed the food in your diet one would not be sure if their food intake was down. But it was an observation.

Two other people have gone into a state where they were very loose and their stools seemed to be undigested (their observation, not mine). Obviously there are many conditions to consider.

Edited by Robittybob1