any one kno how to make potassium carbonate?

akcapr

burn a whole pile of wood and collect the ash, mix with water then filter the liquid off, that will be potassium carbonate and hydroxide, bubble excess CO2 through this to convert the rest to your carbonate :)

that will be potassium carbonate and hydroxide, bubble excess CO2 through this to convert the rest to your carbonate :)

does thius mean KOH will become potassium carbonate wen i bubble CO2 through it, or the co2 will just nutralize the potasssium hydroxide?

KOH and CO2 will only give potassium bicarbonate. That hydrogen atom won't just dissapear. :D

good point, I neglected to mention that you should crystalise it and heat it to 373k or above before you lose that Hydrogen and it gets replaced by K.

Ooops, sloppy of me! :(

so i can make potassium carbonate like this: bubble co2 through KOH, dry it, and heat it, and i will have potassium carbonate. But i also could make it with the burning method like so: burn some wood, mix with water and filter, bubble co2, dry, and heat.

actually, i find it easyies to heat/decompase chalk to calcium oxide

and that has WHAT to do with this thread?

Primarygun, it`s best to add the excess CO2 and decompose the crystals afterwards, that way your yeild is high and there`s no messing about with guess work :)

i tried the ash method. Out of like 15 pounds of wood i got however much ash, which in turn gave me like a gram of potassium carbonate or bicarbonate- watever it was .It stunk like hell nad wasted alot of my time. At least i know to just buy it next time. ( old/ancient methods dont seem to work well enough for me)