Does Distilled Water in the Air Remove CO2?

dragforcequeen

This may be a relatively dumb question but I would rather ask it than not at all.

I have an ultrasonic humidifier. If anyone has ever owned one, you've probably heard that distilled water is the best to use for these devices to reduce mineral build-up a well as minerals entering the air.

My question is, how does vaporized distilled water act in the air? I know it absorbs minerals and CO2 when it is consumed or in a liquid form but does this rule apply to it being airborne?

The reason I ask is because I have plants that as any person with a general amount of biology knowledge would know, absorbs CO2.

Plus you never know what health hazards could also surface.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by dragforcequeen

Water vapor does interact with gaseous CO2, making transient carbonic acid but only in very, very small amounts...barely enough to be measured or have a drastic effect.

The rate constant for the forward reaction of carbonic acid with liquid water is 0.039 s−1 while the reverse reaction rate constant is 23 s−1 is far more dominant in the reaction. Since these

are statistics on the liquid water- carbon dioxide interactions I'd expect the vaporized water-carbon dioxide interactions to be even less frequent. So, your plants will have an ample supply of CO2.

~EE