Finding Your Passion

Lillian

Hey all,

I've been facing a dilemma for quite awhile. I decided to pursue science the week before college started, but have had trouble "specializing." I know that many different fields excite me - genetics, neuroscience, molecular biology, biomedical studies, etc., but now as I approach my junior year, I still have not found what I would be passionate about studying for the rest of my life. I have already begun dabbling in research but there is just not enough time to gain exposure to all of these different fields. This unfortunately leaves me in the position to do a lot of guesswork in terms of my major, the classes I take, and what programs I end up pursuing for a PhD. Does anyone have any advice or a similar story that they could share?

It is far to early as your exposure will only be on a very basal level. At this point there will be very little similarity to the actual research one would be doing. It would be best to get more exposure before any kind of decision is made. Another important point is to consider if one actually want to take the PhD route (as at one point or another you will have also to think about what jobs you could get).

It is far to early as your exposure will only be on a very basal level. At this point there will be very little similarity to the actual research one would be doing. It would be best to get more exposure before any kind of decision is made. Another important point is to consider if one actually want to take the PhD route (as at one point or another you will have also to think about what jobs you could get).

Do you (or does anyone) have any advice on getting that exposure? I unfortunately don't have much room to explore the sciences in terms of classes, and go to a liberal arts school that only has one professor per field, so shadowing isn't the best option.

Thanks for your response!

There is nothing that beats doing some actual lab or field work. The only thing you can really do is talk to lecturers and ask them whether e.g. there are some summer or other projects that you could do or things you could assist in.

A lot of research organisations (universities, government labs, etc...) will hire undergraduates for short term summer research jobs (even if you don't study there, or have any connection). I would highly recommend trying to do one or two in areas you think interest you. Also I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm in the UK so before university (collage age in the US) we have to pick a pretty specific course, so Physics or Biology. As long as you don't go completely the wrong direction it's not too hard to then switch after your bachelors to do a related but different masters. I actually work in a completely different field as to what my PhD is in, it's still physics but not even a related field to my thesis. This isn't event that unusual so don't worry yourself too much.

There is nothing that beats doing some actual lab or field work. The only thing you can really do is talk to lecturers and ask them whether e.g. there are some summer or other projects that you could do or things you could assist in.

Thank you for your advice!

A lot of research organisations (universities, government labs, etc...) will hire undergraduates for short term summer research jobs (even if you don't study there, or have any connection). I would highly recommend trying to do one or two in areas you think interest you. Also I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm in the UK so before university (collage age in the US) we have to pick a pretty specific course, so Physics or Biology. As long as you don't go completely the wrong direction it's not too hard to then switch after your bachelors to do a related but different masters. I actually work in a completely different field as to what my PhD is in, it's still physics but not even a related field to my thesis. This isn't event that unusual so don't worry yourself too much.

Thank you so much. Is it a big dealing switching your focus? Like for example, switching from molecular biology to neuroscience?

Edited by Lillian

Thank you so much. Is it a big dealing switching your focus? Like for example, switching from molecular biology to neuroscience?

Not all while being an undergrad. You are supposed to look around and find your interest. The real topic selection tend to start when you join a group for you graduate thesis. Even then switching is possible but typically once you build up a certain set of expertise it will to a degree influence your topic of research.

• 3 weeks later...

Klaynos, CharonY are quite right, and there are truly many research organisations which you can have a try. I do research on Cells and you can see some of them. At first I just like you, but the a summer internship just changed me and then I made a decision. If you are interested in, you can also do that . Good luck!

link removed by moderator

• 3 months later...

That's really good advice.