a interesting question.

rnewland83

ok this one might be out of the realm of reality, but its also consists of both earth sciences and physics.

im kinda curious on how it would happen if it ever could happen, in other words to theorize the concept.

keep in mind i know enough to get me in trouble and im by far not a science guru.

so here is the question

ok now imagine the earth with climate change happening at a greater rate. now here is where it gets odd but rather interesting, the planet somehow exhibits a peltier effect, and instead of heating the planet it absorbs the heat and basically turns the planet into a refrigerator.

now if you would entertain this thought and theorize about this.

how would it happen?

and

in what way would it change the planet internally and externally?

plus

would it mess with the rotations and or magnetic shielding?

thanks for reading this and i hope to get some interesting thought on this as well.

plus i am sorry if this is not the right place to post this. it just seemed like the right place to start.

Edited by rnewland83

In general and to the best of my knowledge, naturally occurring semiconductors are very rare, as opposed to radioactive ores or the like. Therefore what you propose amounts to an artificial planetary body. Any such artisan race could more easily achieve extremes of temperature by concentrating the radiation emitted by the nearest star (with mirrors probably) or shielding the body to be cooled to interstellar temperature very close to absolute zero, 0 °K. Using a combination of these devices can induce a current flow, of course but it would be more thermodynamically efficient to run a heat engine rather than a solid state device. Any conductor as large as a planet would have a very low internal resistance, but the question of band gap leads me to think the heat engine would win out over any semiconductor device.

Solar thermal applications are more favored by Greenies that the photovoltaic variety for similar reasons.

makes sense

so yea at 0 K (-459 F) would basically turn the planet into something "like" pluto and more than likely all life would die unless your more towards the core of the planet.

unless at that temp would freeze THAT deep.

Edited by rnewland83

Some believe that there was a period long ago when the earth was a huge snowball. The idea is that when oxygen took over from methane in the atmosphere the greenhouse effects of methane were gone and the earth cooled drastically into a huge snowball. At that timethe sun itself was weaker and the greenhouse effect was essential to keep the earth warm.

The peltier effect is just a semiconductor heat pump.

It will take heat away from one section and move it to another.

So which part of the earth were you intending to freeze, and which part were you intending to roast ?

you can't escape the laws of physics !