Speed of sound in Chlorine gas

Sensei

Hi Sensei,

I don't remember having read about such an experiment, but so much has already been made... My bet is that in 2014, as we have a model that predicts sound speed accurately, isotopic separation would be considered expensive for a limited result. It's worth it for superconductors, to check once if phonon speed influences the transition temperature of a new material or not.

If you want to try, may I suggest you other gases? Deuterium is much easier to separate from protium than the isotopes of other elements are, so heavy water is commercially available at reasonable price. the relative mass difference is also better. You could make measures in water vapour, at +100°C or at a lower pressure. You could also compare CH4 with CD4, whose masses offer a ratio of 1.25 instead of 1.06 for chlorine. Both gases are less dangerous than chlorine. You could even compare H2 with D2.

The speed of sound in liquid heavy water must already be measured.