REACH Debacle/Con

DrP

Back to REACH. Another example it failing imo - I was looking for product/chemical to do a certain thing in a formulation of mine. I asked a supplier for suggestions and asked to try a particular chemical. They then tell me that I can/t have said sample because their company haven't bothered registering it as it didn't seem worth their while and won't be bothering to register it at all. No-one else makes it.

This will happen more and more for sure. It was so obvious that this sort of thing would happen when they revealed the system.

The problem may not be REACH.

The problem may be that your supplier doesn't understand it.

Does your request for material where you "asked to try a particular chemical" count as research?

If so, get your supplier to read this

https://newsletter.echa.europa.eu/home/-/newsletter/entry/5_14_your-research-chemicals-could-be-exempted-from-registration

If you are dealing with less than a tonne per year you don't need to register.

If you are using more than that much, how can you justify doing so without bothering to find out what harm it does to the environment?

If yours is a small or medium sized enterprise the fees start at 65 euros.

Is that really too expensive for you?