Science is the best idea humans have ever had.

EdEarl

I once put chilled rhubarb in a wrap of smoked salmon. It may not be the best idea ever, but it is probably the best one I shall ever have.

A chilled stalk or compote? A bit of orange zest in rhubarb compote is another great idea.

On the OP - greatest in humanity is a big question; you have to compare with things like civilization, agriculture, language, education, story-telling etc

Sorry for bad(maybe worst) English. Do the phrase "on to something" means you agree with somebody everytime he talks?

By on to something I just meant that you had made a point, brought something into the discussion, I felt was worth further exploration.

On the OP - greatest in humanity is a big question; you have to compare with things like civilization, agriculture, language, education, story-telling etc

Some of those (agriculture, civilization, education) stem from science but language on the other hand... without language could science exist?

Language and science seem equally "best idea ever" IMO.

A chilled stalk or compote? A bit of orange zest in rhubarb compote is another great idea.

If we created language, it would be at least as important as the scientific method.

Perhaps we were not the first to speak. We can define language to assure we created it, but most living things communicate one way or another, even bacteria. And, some animals, such as dolphins and elephants have communicate complex ideas. Scientists have concluded that Neanderthal spoke, more or less in the way we do. It is unknown whether homo erectus spoke, but bonobos regularly communicate. Some birds name each of their chicks, maybe dinosaurs did too. Maybe we were the first to speak, maybe not.

What about language beyond verbal and body language?

We are the only species to create a complex written language which would seem to be a necessary next step in order to progress and create the scientific method. If you cannot record anything how do you begin to build upon previous generations discoveries and experiences?

Also, the information density of our language seems far and above any other examples.

Writing is certainly an important invention, and one could argue that the scientific method and mathematics require writing; thus, writing is more important, and furthermore that every scientific discovery should be attributed to writing. Otherwise, I think science has changed our lives more than writing. Each of us will have their own opinion about writing vs science being most important.

What about language beyond verbal and body language?

We are the only species to create a complex written language which would seem to be a necessary next step in order to progress and create the scientific method. If you cannot record anything how do you begin to build upon previous generations discoveries and experiences?

Also, the information density of our language seems far and above any other examples.

Good point. Language has been critical. I would go further than you have and say all language written, verbal, or gestured all equally were important at the time of invention. The improvements communication allowed for in every aspect of living had exponentially expanding influences.