Cells make energy

Is it possible for cells to make their own energy. I don't mean like in photosynthesis or chemosynthesis, I mean an autotroph that makes its own energy . In the sense that in a far away planet like Pluto that dose not have much gases or sunlight. Maybe, it's molecular structure is enough to give the organelles energy or something. maybe the first cell to evolve to this had enrgy and passed it on the the sister-cell's in miosis and the cell with a little bit of energy had an organelle that could make its own energy.

Forgive me if this sounds stupid it just came to me.

It has to get energy from somewhere. If it's entirely self-sufficient with no outside energy source, it is equivalent to a perpetual motion machine, which is thermodynamically impossible. There's nothing special about life that allows it to violate the laws of physics.

I have read a book-Einstein Relatively Simple. In that book, the author Mr. Ira Mark Egdall state that you should take mass into account too because E=mc2. So, we should state: Mass and energy are neither created nor destroyed.

Edited by Nicholas Kang

• 2 months later...

On this world the primary energy source is the Sun. For life like ours an ongoing energy source is necessary, however there are several ways in theory that life might exist without sunlight.

Very deep in the ocean at volcanic vents life exists based on energy provided by chemical oxidation. Then all that is necessary to sustain life is an ongoing source of such chemicals.

Certain crystals grow readily without an outside ebergy source.Life might be possible based on crystalline structure, or something else we know nothing about.

To create the orderly complexity of life as we know it an outside energy source is required, but perhaps something other than light could sustain life. How about a constant flux of magnetic energy, which a life form might be able to employ? How about radioactive energy? There are many possible forms of energy, and in theory some other than sunlight might be able to support life.