Will I be able to pursue my own research in college?

Unity+

I am going for a computer science major in college and I was wondering if I will be able to do my own research(independent research) within college. Will I have enough time to do it? Or is college really that restrictive?

You actually have a lot of free time in college (unless you have a job). One of the skills one begins to master is time management, but many don't realize how much free time they had until they start working full-time after they graduate. It's a matter of priorities — it will come at the expense of time spent elsewhere.

You actually have a lot of free time in college (unless you have a job). One of the skills one begins to master is time management, but many don't realize how much free time they had until they start working full-time after they graduate. It's a matter of priorities — it will come at the expense of time spent elsewhere.

I have been asking many people and half of them say yes and others say no. I have been confused on this and it begins to make me stressed about entering college.

For my undergraduate I found that doing the homeworks, reading the notes and reading ahead took up quite a lot of time. I wanted not to work all the time though, and spent most weekend doing other things. So I would think you won't be able to do much independent research.

That said,I think it will depend on what you really mean by research and at what else you could/should be doing with your time. If you are better at organising your time that I was, you maybe able to do more.

Edited by ajb

For my undergraduate I found that doing the homeworks, reading the notes and reading ahead took up quite a lot of time. I wanted not to work all the time though, and spent most weekend doing other things. So I would think you won't be able to do much independent research.

That said,I think it will depend on what you really mean by research and at what else you could/should be doing with your time. If you are better at organising your time that I was, you maybe able to do more.

Well, most of my free time is done doing my own research in the first place. ^_^ (Yes, I am that guy).

For me, what happens most of the time is I make a chart of my day for each week and each month and then what happens is things change.

Well, most of my free time is done doing my own research in the first place. ^_^ (Yes, I am that guy).

For me, what happens most of the time is I make a chart of my day for each week and each month and then what happens is things change.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft a-gley. ~To a Mouse, by Robert Burns

Seems to me a typical course load in terms of hours is about the same for college as for high school. Whether you're that person that plays sports in their free time or does math research, I don't think college will burden you above what you are already shoulder. Good luck! :)

I have a couple of undergraduate students (including a computer science major) doing research projects over the summer, and generally have a couple of senior thesis students working with me throughout the year.

It depends on what you mean by "independent" research. Will you be able to pursue your own research funding, set up your own lab and do whatever you want? Probably not.

Can you take on a project under the guidance of an adviser, and take care of the day to day research tasks to develop it yourself? Probably.

There's probably some sort of undergraduate research program set up already in your department, although it might take seeking out a potential adviser yourself, then figuring out what funding opportunities there are for it, and obtaining them.

As for time management for undergrads - I always advise them to treat college like a 9-5 job. During that time, if you aren't in a class, read materials and do assignments. If you do, you will almost never have to do any work on the weekends or in the evenings. Is it what I did? nope. Is it what most students do? Hell no. "I've got 4 hours off in the middle of a Tuesday, let's go do something fun!" is part of the college experience, provided you aren't doing it every break.

It really boils down to what kind of research you want to conduct. Since I know nothing of computer engineering I can't really say for sure.

I can say, however, is that as long as you develop proper time management skills you'll be able to do whatever you want in school.

Now I have never heard of a computer engineering undergrad research program, but ask around. Go visit the chairman of the engineering department and ask. Make friends with these people if you can.