Mechanism discussion: Golgi's Method; Golgi Stain; Golgi Technique

I've read various Internet discussions about the Golgi stain. However, I've not come across any feasible answers as to the mechanism. If it's being argued that it's mechanism is unknown. I don't believe it's purely random and violates the laws of causality. It might, but I don't believe that.

My current hypothesis is that during staining, proteins, perhaps an ion channel, has its molecular configuration changed that enables the silver nitrate to attach to it. I think the answer would be found in attempting to molecularly manipulate various biomolecules until the silver nitrate attaches to a particular configuration. I don't think answering the question of how it attaches to neurons should be incredibly difficult.

How would an unknown mechanism violate causality? I assume you misunderstand the random or stochastic part which just means that one has not found that the stain target specific cells (just a random subset of the tissue).

The hypothesis you put forward is a big vague, considering that metals can adhere to quite a range of biomolecule and proteins under the right conditions. Or rather they precipitate at it.

You should also realize that the stain is applied to fixed tissues. I.e. the cells are dead, proteins are severely cross-linked etc. There are no biological processes involved but rather physicochemical interactions are behind this. It could be as easy that a random formation of a silver chromate nucleus promotes to formation of further precipitates, thus filling a cell that by chance was leaky enough during the fixation process that the silver could enter it.