relationship to money in the West

alkis3

hi all

I live in Russia

I would like to know how you relate to money in America and other Western countries

let me explain

Relationship to personal money for many Russians, not greedy

For example I can give my friend 5-10% of monthly salaries and not take back

so many people can donate money to the needy in the street

But I know that in America or in Europe, many people can not give money even his children,i.e. is possible to give,but return back

is it true?

Edited by alkis3

it's about the same as anywhere else.

i have been known to pass a beggar in the streets only to come back by to give them food.

it is true that capitalism can be seen as if it is rooted in selfishness, but in the end people are people.

hi all

I live in Russia

I would like to know how you relate to money in America and other Western countries

let me explain

Relationship to personal money for many Russians, not greedy

For example I can give my friend 5-10% of monthly salaries and not take back

so many people can donate money to the needy in the street

But I know that in America or in Europe, many people can not give money even his children,i.e. is possible to give,but return back

is it true?

Hi.

My understanding is that Americans are the most generous givers/donators in the world. See this source: >> http://voices.yahoo.com/america-most-charitable-nation-world-327986.html

Americans are the most charitable people in the world. That is not just a generous exaggeration. The voluntary giving of the American people during times of need has been documented in many different studies. These studies show that Americans will give far more towards helping out their fellow man, in times of trouble, than any other private citizenry in the world. Here are statistics some of those studies have shown....

My understanding about Russia is that no one gets any work done or services rendered without paying kick-backs. Sounds like greed to me.

Edited by Acme

My understanding about Russia is that no one gets any work done or services rendered without paying kick-backs. Sounds like greed to me.

it is not

Maybe it correctly only if you are going to work and get paid more 50 000 dollars in a month

the corruption is, if we are talking about big money

if your salary is less than $ 10,000 a month,that corruption will not be

salary is less than $ 10,000 in 99% of Russians,

what you describe happens to 1-2 % of Russians

it is not

Maybe it correctly only if you are going to work and get paid more 50 000 dollars in a month

the corruption is, if we are talking about big money

if your salary is less than $ 10,000 a month,that corruption will not be

salary is less than $ 10,000 in 99% of Russians,

what you describe happens to 1-2 % of Russians

So we both were mistaken about the other. Good to hear. :)

like i said.

in the end people are people.

That seems rather trite. Clearly Russians are not Americans or alkis3 would have no reason to pose his question.

Edited by Acme

i did not say that russians were americans.

your fallacy amazes me!

while russians are not americans this does not mean that one group is not people.

can you find the fallacy in that sentence?

Edited by davidivad

i did not say that russians were americans.

your fallacy amazes me!

while russians are not americans this does not mean that one group is not people.

I was making the rhetorical point that your comment really added nothing factual to the discussion alkis initiated. How amazing is that?

Edited by Acme

I also think that all people are people

but only politicians and the military in any country inspire a lot of misinformation (brainwash)

for this reason,this many people in different countries have the false judgments....

not to invoke temper, it is a valid point and quite reasonable to assume that people will be people as you are yourself.

my point was simply validated by the discussion itself.

but only politicians and the military in any country inspire a lot of misinformation (brainwash)

for this reason,this many people in different countries have the false judgments....

yes, politics at it's finest.

My impression of Russian kick-backs came neither from the military nor politicians, rather from the free press.

not to invoke temper, it is a valid point and quite reasonable to assume that people will be people as you are yourself.

my point was simply validated by the discussion itself.

yes, politics at it's finest.

I simply don't see your 'point' as furthering the topic of Russian vs. American charitableness. On the contrary, I see your comment as vacuous.

i wasn't referring to you.

i was simply verifying that politics can be sticky.

Fine; you weren't referring to me. On the underlined, I see just another trite comment with no content; no meat.

but in any country the press is controlled by the government

No; it is not in the US.

speaking of meat, do you have a political stance on crimea?

i think this is important because it connects with the issues at hand and what role different government models play.

Edited by davidivad

No; it is not in the US.

information is a weapon which is stronger nuclear weapons

not true to assume that they do not enjoy

they can't exactly speak not the truth,they can remain silent about the truth

and they can exaggerate benefit information

speaking of meat, do you have a political stance on crimea?

If I did & wanted to share it I would post it to the thread on that topic. Let's not hijack alki's discussion.

information is a weapon which is stronger nuclear weapons

not true to assume that they do not enjoy

they can't exactly speak not the truth, they can remain silent about the truth

and they can exaggerate benefit information

I think the language difference is making your exact argument unclear to me. However you seem to be arguing that the US press is not free. If that were true then we wouldn't see the regular 'printing' of stories that expose, criticize, and otherwise take public exception to the US government and those in it.

even if we talk about your statements about the kickbacks

you have learned this from the press

but this is an exaggeration

I was born and live in Russia,and currently have never encountered kickbacks personally

it's the same in Russia can exaggerate the bad information about America

press the same everywhere

you seem to be arguing that the US press is not free.

no,I argue that the press is not free everywhere

even if we talk about your statements about the kickbacks

you have learned this from the press

but this is an exaggeration

I was born and live in Russia,and currently have never encountered kickbacks personally

it's the same in Russia can exaggerate the bad information about America

press the same everywhere

The last mention of the kick-back topic that I read/heard about in our press had to do with building the venues for the recent Olympic games in Sochi. According to those reports, Russia told the IOC it would cost 2 billion US dollars but it actually cost 12 billion US dollars. Granted that is big business and not everday Russians.

The press is not the same everywhere, regardless of what a countrie's constitution says. I'm not sure if the Russian constitution has a freedom of the press clause or not, but even if you do the application of it by citizens is far different from that in the US.

Can you re-Tweet this in Russia?

Twitter Caves to Vladimir Putin, Censors Content Within Russia

Appeasing the dictator, 140 characters at a time.

The Moscow Times reported last week that — according to the Kremlin itself — for the past several weeks Twitter has been blocking Russian access to any tweets designated by the Kremlin as “extremist.” Twitter has also deleted at least one user account at the Kremlin’s request.

On its applicable agency website (known by its acronym Roskomnadzor), the Kremlin praises Twitter’s management team for its “constructive position” in reconfiguring its website in a manner “acceptable to Russian side.”

source: >> http://pjmedia.com/blog/twitter-caves-to-vladimir-putin-censors-content-within-russia/

Edited by Acme

I am Pro kickbacks at the Olympics don't know,maybe they were

but if to speak about freedom,Edward Snowden said that the American government was listening to private conversations of citizens by phone

is this freedom?

and the American press silent on the fact that in Ukraine the demonstrators attacked the police and shot at the police

many police were injured and many were killed

and perhaps the American press is not to say that in Ukraine bandits go with weapons in public buildings

Edited by alkis3

I am Pro kickbacks at the Olympics don't know,maybe they were

but if to speak about freedom,Edward Snowden said that the American government was listening to private conversations of citizens by phone

is this freedom?

and the American press silent on the fact that in Ukraine the demonstrators attacked the police and shot at the police

yes, we are at a point where we have to decide how much freedom to give up in order to be safe.

this may be off topic but i have to ask.

who were the demonstrators? does anyone know?

many demonstrators were ordinary citizens ,but among them were provocateurs and those people whom it was profitable to overthrow the government in its favor

maybe in the West do not know that Ukraine now has fascism