Responsible Drug Usage

s1eep

Is responsible drug usage possible? I'm taking a popular drug named on the streets as 'Meow' right this second, but I've only taken it once over the last year. Is it responsible if done in moderation?

Edited by s1eep

SWIM should be careful in SWIM's posting but to say drugs as though they are all the same is not true. The Drug that SWIM is using is new to the street and the effects are not well known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephedrone

Side effects[edit]

The ECMDDA reported mephedrone can cause various unintended side effects including: dilated pupils,[79] poor concentration, teeth grinding, problems focusing visually, poor short-term memory, hallucinations, delusions, and erratic behaviour.[1]:13 They noted the most severe effects appear anecdotally to be linked with high doses or prolonged usage, and the effects may be due to users taking other intoxicants at the same time. Other effects users in internet forums have noted include changes in body temperature, increased heart rate, breathing difficulties, loss of appetite, increased sweating, discolouration of extremities, anxiety, paranoia and depression.[1]:13When snorted, it can also cause nose bleeds and nose burns.[1]:13[80] A survey conducted by the National Addiction Centre, UK, found 67% of mephedrone users experienced sweating, 51% suffered from headaches, 43% from heart palpitations, 27% from nausea and 15% from cold or blue fingers,[81] indicative of vasoconstriction occurring.[39] Doctors at Guy's Hospital, London reported, of 15 patients they treated after taking mephedrone in 2009, 53% were agitated, 40% had increased heart rates, 20% had systolic hypertension and 20% had seizures; three required treatment with benzodiazepines, predominantly to control their agitation. They reported none of their patients suffered from cold or blue peripheries, contrary to other reports. Nine of the 15 of patients had a Glasgow coma scale (GCS) of 15, indicating they were in a normal mental state, four had a GCS below 8, but these patients all reported using a central nervous system depressant, most commonly GHB, with mephedrone. The patients also reported polydrug use of a variety of compounds.[82]

Long-term effects[edit]

Almost nothing is known about the long-term effects of the drug due to the short history of its use.[81]BBC News reported one person who used the drug for 18 months became dependent on the drug, in the end using it twice a week, and had to be admitted to a psychiatric unit after he started experiencing hallucinations, agitation, excitability and mania.[1]:13[83]

It is obvious that some drugs can be used recreational alcohol being an obvious one. So responsible drug use is possible but the one SWIM is taking has little info pertaining to it's use and long term effects..

locked pending staff review regarding use of potential illegal narcotics

!

Moderator Note

Section 3 of the Posting Rules reads as follows

3. Keep posts legal.

References to the personal commitment of an illegal activity are forbidden, with the following qualifications:

• References to drug use are not permissible unless the references are scientific or otherwise useful as part of a discussion...

Mephadrone is illegal I believe in many jurisdictions and I think your opening post - whilst clearly trying to be scientific and seek clarification - falls the wrong side of the line drawn by the rules.

Whilst it might be useful to provide a forum for a sensible discussion of drug taking we are very much constrained in what we can allow. I am afraid I am going to leave the thread locked for the time being unless staff in general feel that we can allow the discussion