Building Project

trevorSCHOOL

I need advice, I have to make a on scale model of a structure from the time of the european explorers with a writeup that explains all of the angles in it, help me please cool.pngbiggrin.png

- your friendly neighborhood nerd, YOLO

ALSO HAS TO BE MADE OF NATURAL MATERIALS FROM THAT TIME

Are you interested in structures made by the Europeans or natives of places that they explored, and which explorations are you considering, Africa, Asia, Americas, Pacific Islands, Australia, Iceland/Greenland, or other?

• 3 weeks later...

before I start building would it be a good idea to put roll out fake grass under my longhouse to work as a terrain?

:(

Technically, they would have cleared the land before building the longhouse. It might also be difficult to build on top of fake grass. I would at least cut out the section on which my longhouse was built.

Also, fake grass looks a lot like a lawn, which they wouldn't have had back then. Cloth or paint representing indigenous grassland from the US east coast might be better to work with.

thanks for the advice, also, if I did the grass that might be all I hand in because I might not have enough time for the actual longhouse! :eek:

I think I might get some sticks from trees, I could then dampen them to bend and make a dome shaped frame.

oh yeah, and I believe I am doing the iroquois longhouse. (they were built in both American & Canadien regions.)

Good ideas, if you get green sticks from trees, they will be supple and you won't have to wet them. Just cut the ends of branches as long as you need them, the very small ones only. Use heavy metal scissors or pruning shears.

Hold the bark down flat with a ruler or other straight-edge so that just a thin piece sticks out, then cut along the straight-edge with a sharp knife. Then move the straight-edge so another little strip of bark shows and cut another strip. Use the thinnest bark you can find of course. Even if the scale isn't exactly right, I think you will score more points for using native material than using a better scale material such as commercial thread.

sounds cool, but how can I be sure that's not just your secret identity! JK :D

You caught me. But it's only one of many secrets. :D And say, if it wouldn't be too much trouble could you maybe post a pic or 2 of the finished project? I have had the chance to help out like this from time to time but never got to see how things turned out. Thnx. :)