• Announcements

• Cap'n Refsmmat

SFN Upgraded   07/22/17

SFN has been upgraded to IPB version 4. View the announcement for more details, or to report any problems you're experiencing. Note: search features, unread content, and so on won't work correctly until posts are reindexed, which should happen soon.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dimdims

Making Copper(II) Ammonium Sulphate

9 posts in this topic

For an investigation i've got to do in A-level Chemistry, i need to make Copper(II) Ammonium sulphate from scratch, could anyone please help me out as to how to do this as i haven't got a clue what to use

[quote name='Dimdims' timestamp='1285519879' post='566083']
For an investigation i've got to do in A-level Chemistry, i need to make Copper(II) Ammonium sulphate from scratch, could anyone please help me out as to how to do this as i haven't got a clue what to use
[/quote]

When you say from scratch, do you mean from anhydrous copper(II) sulphate? If so, just dissolve the copper(II) sulphate in a concentrated aqueous solution of ammonia [also known as ammonium hydroxide]. This should form the complex [ce] [Cu(NH_3 )_4 ] SO_4 [/ce] which is what you were looking for I believe.

[quote name='Dimdims' timestamp='1285522299' post='566089']
no, i first have to make the copper(II) sulphate, but the ammonia should be provided
[/quote]

Oh okay. mix a soluble copper salt with a soluble sulfate salt in aqueous solution. Then just play the solubility ballgame to make your copper sulfate percipitate out, or get the other compound to percipitate out and evaporate the solution to dryness.

First off, you need to find out exactly what you are being asked to make.
Is it the double salt CuSO[sub]4[/sub] (NH[sub]4[/sub])[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub]. 6H[sub]2[/sub]O
or is it tetrammine copper (II) sulphate Cu(NH[sub]3[/sub]) [sub]4[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub] .H[sub]2[/sub]O ( I think it's the monohydrate.)

I think it's probably the second, but the question actually asks for the first. Edited by John Cuthber

Then you need to prepare solutions of ammonium sulphate and copper sulphate, mix them and let the water evaporate.