SFN Logo Contest (free shirt for the winner!)

Times of change are upon us!

In the coming months, SFN is going to be making the transition from vBulletin forum software to IPB, which we believe is a superior system with greater potential for further development and improvement. There's still work to be done to facilitate the transition, but we're gradually working on it and should be ready when IPB 3.1 is released.

However, there's something we need from the community. We need a new logo! Our current logo will not fit in with the IPB design, so we need some modification of it or a completely new logo.

If you're an avid Photoshopper, try making us a new logo! Here's how the contest will work:

1. Create a concept logo. Try a few designs, tinker, but don't make it final just yet.
  2. Submit your concept by posting it as an attachment in this thread. (PNG or high-quality JPG preferred.)
  3. We'll select the best entries and have the membership vote on the winner.
  4. Once your entry is selected, we'll provide you with the official IPB graphic design PSD, which includes the background colors and button colors and so on.
  5. The winner will receive a free SFN polo shirt (or garment of their choice) with their logo featured. In fact, we may begin selling SFN shirts once we have our new logo.

If you'd like to base your design on the current SFN logo, the PSD is available here. And if you'd like to see what the new forums will look like, visit our test forum. You'll note that the design is not final -- in fact, if your logo would work best by changing a few colors, or if you have suggestions to add to the design, feel free to add comments here. I think the design is incomplete, and suggestions are welcome, especially regarding colors and the display of threads. (If you register on the test forums, do not use your current SFN username, as things will be broken when we import SFN users to IPB.)

Now, go off and make some logos!

How about this? Just a quick sketch, the golden sections dimensions aren't exactly right.

The idea being that this ratio is present through science, mathematics, art, nature and is both complex and simple; finite and infinite.

It's naturally pleasing to the eye whilst being structural and rigid.

Plus it fits in aesthetically with the shape of the human brain.

just a thought

SFNlogo.jpg

Looking good, guys. However, you should head over to the test board:

http://area51.scienceforums.net/index

and visualize how your logo would fit in. We may want to lighten the blue at the top so the look is right, so you'll want to base the colors in your logo off that. We can always adjust once your logo is selected, of course.

tomgwyther: Could you share where you found that brain image? I like the concept and I think there's a lot that could be done with that.

Also, a reminder that the PSD for the current logo is available and someone can try adapting it to IPB as well:

http://xyloid.org/sfn.psd

In general, I think we should keep the logo (if only to keep the general idea of it, which it would appear toastywombel has touched upon).

Also, since I make this request every so often but scurry away, I'd really like a different colored layout. Instead of the blues, maybe some blacks?

Also, the reason I'm suggesting we keep the logo is because it really is a symbol of this website. I think a serious issue with using "SFN" has to do with the fact that there is an organization called "SFN," which is the Society for Neuroscience. Then again, I believe that society uses a lower-case "f," so there really shouldn't be too many problems.

If the issue hasn't been looked at by the mods/admins, it might be worth an investigation.

"tomgwyther: Could you share where you found that brain image? I like the concept and I think there's a lot that could be done with that."

The brain image was from a quick google search for 'Brain MRI'

It's probably copyright, so would be able to be used as-is.

Glad you liked the idea. I've always found such things as The golden ratio, pi, phi, prime numbers very enigmatic and fascinating; the way they permeate so many different disciplines.

The logo I submitted was literally just a five minute sketch. Feel free to tweek it or play around with the idea. It would be nice to have multiple inputs for the new logo.

In general, I think we should keep the logo (if only to keep the general idea of it, which it would appear toastywombel has touched upon).

Also, since I make this request every so often but scurry away, I'd really like a different colored layout. Instead of the blues, maybe some blacks?

Well, you could do black, I'll try to offer a black schemed alternative while still trying to stick with the 335e8e color

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Okay, I touched up on the edges around the logo, so it flows better.

112jpg.jpg

As for a black theme, like Genecks was wondering, I just did some white enhancement, this is what I got.

1123.jpg

Here is the black with the text.

SCIence_20logoblack.jpg

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

Just a final note, I seem to prefer the last image the most.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. What happens if you remove the center dot from the atom logo? We don't have one in our current logo, and I think it clutters it up a bit.

Also, try experimenting with fonts a bit. I have no idea what font dave used for the current logo (the link to the PSD is above), but something visually distinctive would be cool.

Here is something quick, so you can somewhat visualize what the atom would look like without the center, this is not final, I would want the center a little darker, but just to get an idea.

SCIence_20logoblacknohole.jpg

I will try to tinker with the fonts and such after work tonight.

Also, the reason I'm suggesting we keep the logo is because it really is a symbol of this website. I think a serious issue with using "SFN" has to do with the fact that there is an organization called "SFN," which is the Society for Neuroscience. Then again, I believe that society uses a lower-case "f," so there really shouldn't be too many problems.

If the issue hasn't been looked at by the mods/admins, it might be worth an investigation.

there are lots of organizations with the same acronym. I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

If you could let me know where I can obtain the right .TTF font, that would be great.

I'll stick it in to the logo. I'll also tidy up a few of the loose edges around the skull.

I also played around with putting the golden section graphic through a Mandelbrot fractal program to create something possibly usable as a page background or maybe a dividing line.