Chemistry Problem

joml88

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the most reactive metal known to man is francium. the most reactive nonmetal known to man is fluorine.

tell me if i'm wrong, but i believe that there are an unlimited number of elements since you could keep adding protons to a nucleus in one way or another. as a result, you could get an element with one valence electron that also has a greater atomic radius than francium, which would be more metallic than francium and thus would be more reactive than francium.

i do not believe that there is a possible nonmetal that is more active than fluorine since fluorine has the smallest atomic radius for an element with an outermost orbital that is p and has 5 electrons. hydrogen would be more active than fluorine if it didn't have such a low ionization energy, but since it does, it tends not to form hydride ions.

tell me if i'm wrong, but i believe that there are an unlimited number of elements since you could keep adding protons to a nucleus in one way or another. as a result, you could get an element with one valence electron that also has a greater atomic radius than francium, which would be more metallic than francium and thus would be more reactive than francium.

YEs, it could go on forever, but, I think there comes a stage where the atom becomes so big, that, the second a proton enters it, one is fired out.

i do not believe that there is a possible nonmetal that is more active than fluorine since fluorine has the smallest atomic radius for an element with an outermost orbital that is p and has 5 electrons.

Yeah, its exactly the opposite with non-metals. For metals, you try to have a higher number of shells, but for non-metals, the smallest number. Pretty cool of you should tell me!

YEs, it could go on forever, but, I think there comes a stage where the atom becomes so big, that, the second a proton enters it, one is fired out.

oh, of course; but hey, that new element was in existence...even though it only existed for a fraction of a second.

Yeah, its exactly the opposite with non-metals. For metals, you try to have a higher number of shells, but for non-metals, the smallest number. Pretty cool of you should tell me!

right, and so, since F is the most active possible nonmetal, the most active metal must be more active than F since mathematically, the most reactive metal has an infinately large atomic radius

right, and so, since F is the most active possible nonmetal, the most active metal must be more active than F since mathematically, the most reactive metal has an infinately large atomic radius

umm.... yes, i think so. Your theory makes sense.

I so thought the inital question used a group 2 metal not a group one, for the calculation dont use the molar mass of Na(OH)2 use NaOH, so the pH will not have a 2 x molarity, i though it was 2+(OH)2 my mistake have to look more carefully :)