winding coils

Guest m0tvl

What size coil are you looking to make and out of what material? As alien said, a drill and some rod stock (metal is much better than wood. in some cases wood will be useless) is your friend for narrow coils. For larger ones, I recommend a bit of pipe locked into a vice and some hand power. I make coils all the time, then cut them up one side to make rings for chainmaille armor and jewelry. :)

In my opinion, there is no "best way". I wind quite a few for home-brew axial flux alternators. I use different coil winding methods according to the shape and size (long thin, short fat, square, wedge-shape, etc) of the coil, and thickness of wire. The coil shape matches the magnet shape.

As I make them in sets of up to 20 or more, I need to reproduce the same number of turns, which is not easy to do with a power drill without the complication of a rev counter. So I mount wooden dowel between two pieces of wood with suitably sized bearing holes, and a handle on one end. A certain amount of friction is good, as it stops the coil unwinding prematurely. I use air-core coils, so don't use steel rod. If you are making tesla coils, tuning coils, electromagnet coils etc, with or without cheek pieces which might be needed for mounting purposes, you need to consider that for your winding mechanism.

There are some nice youtube videos on the subject, with an impressive variety of home-brew set-ups, including ways to make pancake and bifilar coils. Also have a look at several forums dedicated to home brew wind power. Very inventive.

Good luck, but be first be clear as to the type of coil, the materials and tools you have to hand, and your DIY skills.