• Senior Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada.

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hi folks,

It is my contention and speculation that the aphorism:

"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Is completely false.

I contend that vinegar is very effective at catching flies, whereas honey is useless. This is due to the observation that I found I had a leakage of a honey dispenser (One of those squirty ones that sits on it cap) that had been sitting on an open shelf unattended for some time, and it had ZERO, ZIP, NADA, insects caught in it. Whereas an aqueous preparation of malt vinegar, water and dish soap, theorised by myself to mimic the odor of rotting fruit and thus attract fruit flies, catches and kills dozens of fruit flies a day.

Discuss,

Flashman.

(BTW, this seemed most appropriate section for this, please direct me otherwise if I was wrong)

#2 big314mp

big314mp

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCincinnati/Columbus, Ohio

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:23 PM

This is all I can contribute:

http://xkcd.com/357/
"I'm astounded by people who want to 'know' the universe when it's hard enough to find your way around Chinatown."
-> Woody Allen

#3 Flashman

Flashman

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 142 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada.

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:36 PM

LOL, nice find.

#4 aguy2

aguy2

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 578 posts
  • LocationFlorida's Gulf coast

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hi folks,

It is my contention and speculation that the aphorism:

"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

Is completely false.

I contend that vinegar is very effective at catching flies, whereas honey is useless. This is due to the observation that I found I had a leakage of a honey dispenser (One of those squirty ones that sits on it cap) that had been sitting on an open shelf unattended for some time, and it had ZERO, ZIP, NADA, insects caught in it. Whereas an aqueous preparation of malt vinegar, water and dish soap, theorised by myself to mimic the odor of rotting fruit and thus attract fruit flies, catches and kills dozens of fruit flies a day.

Discuss,

Flashman.

(BTW, this seemed most appropriate section for this, please direct me otherwise if I was wrong)

Here are 2 more debunks:

"If you wish in 1 hand and s*** in the other, you know what you will get."

I contend that, "You will get your wish.", that you shouldn't have done that!

I contend, "Everything is true about that statement, except for the 'last' word."
aguy2

Ps. Nice find big314mp. I have added the site to my favorites.
"We and the universe around us could be involved in an ongoing, staged process of self-creation, wherein and whereby the Creator of us and the universe around us is attempting to create itself."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users