The Great Lightbulb Challenge!

YT2095

as in time honored tradition, and to accompany such challenges as the: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2863 and: http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3907

Now it`s time turn your thinking towards Lightbulbs! :)

The Challenge is make your own Light bulb, it must be powerful enough to read by in a totally dark room, and be powered Electrically (so No flasks of Luminol, or Isotopes or Magnesium Flares!).

it must last (giving off book readable light), for a Min of 10 minutes also.

you can use whatever Voltage/Current you like AC or DC.

Obviously the Less Power and Brighter the Light for that power the Better!:)

Picture (as always) appreciated, along with a write-up detailing the proceedure and results.

Best of Luck to all Participants!;)

and keep it SAFE!!!

I tried to make a bulb using petroleum jelly to exclude air. I placed the electrodes with filament into a glass tube. I filled the center with jelly and the ends with house hold wall filler. I preheated the filament to displace some of the jelly as gas through the ends of the tube where theres a weak seal between filler and electrodes. This was to avoid huge pressure at the start of the first test run. I then placed the tube in a glass bulb filled with CO2 just in case ;) . The bulb worked and I could read by it just, in total darkness. This dosen't show on a camera so I decided to blast it so I could take a pic. :)http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1495&stc=1&d=1173294564

It only lasted about four minutes total. The filament tube ended up like this http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1496&stc=1&d=1173294564 :embarass:

Try number 2:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yt2095/experiments/bulb2setup.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/yt2095/experiments/bulb2on.jpg

and so far it`s been lit (as I`m working to Burnout) for 3 hours 22 mins

operating at; 1.23A @ 13.19VDC

EDIT: 18 hours 2 mins so far!

EDIT2: it`s been on now nearly 25 hours, I can`t see it failing anytime soon, so I`m calling it Quits as a trial, it`s evidently out performed my expectations and requirements outlined in the Original Post.

so that`s Certainly ONE success thus far, let`s keep stacking them up :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

i made an attempt at this one, edison inspired, it was an evacuated glass chamber with a filament (0.7mm pacer graphite)

i made the evacuated chamber out of a jam jar and check valves from an aquarium retailer, it could go down to 10KPa.(drew air out of a continer and let water flow back into it on relief to check that.)

the graphite was suspended by thick copper wire passed through the lid of the jam jar and connected to 16V 3A AC.

the graphite glowed yellow and you could easily read by it but you could feel the heat coming off it... which lead to some hot glue melting and admitting air into the chamber, making the graphite smoke, arc, thin out and eventually break.

i may have gotten 30 seconds of light out of it but it's hardly a winning formula.

• 1 year later...

Actually, just make a normal light bulb... Tungsten filament wire can be bought. Make lightbulb is the challenge NOT components... Plenty of old bulbs can be found at antique stores... The only challenge is vaccuuming this bad boy then adding argon or some other noble gas...

OR... one can try the organic way.... Get a circular tank and add to it wood shavings, torn up/shredded paper and a pecular little mushroom from the Armillaria genus (honey mushroom is actually edible). Put mirrors in background and add other light concentrating devices and ET VOILA!!! A very green way (pun intended due to luminescence) for one to "light up."

I may even try this one... If I could find room between all my books.... Hey! There's another use! Book destruction w/o adding to a landfill... Meh! Can't sac my friends... But it could be a great way to get rid of unwanted mail (aka bills.)

• 3 years later...

Ok so I think I already done this as I got one running right now, its actually an X-RAY Vacuam Tube, but its pretty bright, when you pass 120kv at 600w 1200f 120a through it i would love to know what the amplitude and modulation between the anode and cathode is. It gives of alot of heat as well, and makes some intresting pictures on a pice of negitive photographic film.

please note i use Lead is used to protect against radiation.

• 6 years later...

I haven't made a lighrbulb but I did design one a few years back it consisted of a graphite rod say 5cm long and 6mm wide, which I would have drilled into one end and attached to a support, the other end drilled to 30mm deep, the whole thing fitted inside a pyrex rolling pin with holed  rubber bungs partialy  coated with foil to reflect heat and light,  one to support the graphite rod with a ceramic dowel and the other to evacuate to a high vacuum and alow the beam of a powerful infrared laser to pass through a prizm and heat the graphite internally heat upon heat until light is emitted... Voltage of the laser 3.7v.  I wouldn't expect you would need the laser to be permanently on just there to top up heat when it was needed.

I also designed a laser amplifyer which I would have also used to assist the formation of heat using a strobe light and a magnetic field to theta pinch the photon rich ion plasma of the xenon gas to the path of a lasers beam .