Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Safely Neutralize Bleach


  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle

Kyle

    Quark

  • Senior Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

Someone spilled a jug of bleach down the hall and it's making the hallway smell really bad. Is there any chemical that can be dumped on it that will safely neutralize the smell or the chemical itself without producing another gas or a worse chemical?
  • 0

#2 woelen

woelen

    Primate

  • Senior Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:58 AM

You could dump 3% H2O2 over it. H2O2 and bleach react with each other to make oxygen, water and salt. But if you spilled a lot of bleach, then you may need quite a lot of H2O2.

I would just try to clean up everything and then after cleanup wipe all of the floor with 3% H2O2 to get rid of the smell.
  • 0

#3 Kyle

Kyle

    Quark

  • Senior Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 10:55 PM

Thanks a lot. It's mostly gone by now but, since we're on the same floor as the laundry room, it'll probably happen again.
  • 0

#4 Borek

Borek

    Meson

  • Senior Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

Na2SO3

Borek
--
General Chemistry Software
www.pH-meter.info/pH-electrode
  • 0

#5 woelen

woelen

    Primate

  • Senior Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:29 PM

Yep, Na2SO3 is even better than H2O2, good that this one is mentioned as well.

It is called sodium sulfite. At shops, which sell stuff for making wine, you can also buy sodium metabisulfite, Na2S2O5, or potassium metabisulfite, K2S2O5. These also are suitable, but they are somewhat more smelly. This smell, however, does not stick to everything and quickly disappears. At low concentration, I do not find that smell (SO2) unpleasant. At high concentration it becomes pungent though.
  • 0

#6 budullewraagh

budullewraagh

    Primate

  • Senior Members
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

It should be noted that the area should be ventilated and that the user should try to avoid the SO2 fumes, which will choke those who are exposed to it.
  • 0

#7 YT2095

YT2095

    Chemistry Expert

  • Resident Experts
  • 16,959 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

not at low conc it won`t, it`s actualy used as a food preservative!
  • 0

#8 jdurg

jdurg

    Resident Expert

  • Resident Experts
  • 2,171 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut, USA

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:02 PM

not at low conc it won`t, it`s actualy used as a food preservative!


Well, perhaps dwarfs and babies should be kept out of the area as SO2, as well as Cl2, are fairly dense gases and will tend to hang out in low-lying areas. ;) :D
  • 0

#9 Bluenoise

Bluenoise

    Biology Expert

  • Resident Experts
  • 871 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:59 AM

You could dump 3% H2O2 over it. H2O2 and bleach react with each other to make oxygen, water and salt. But if you spilled a lot of bleach, then you may need quite a lot of H2O2.

I would just try to clean up everything and then after cleanup wipe all of the floor with 3% H2O2 to get rid of the smell.


Just out of curiousity what provides the counter ion for the Clorine in this process to create the salt stated?
  • 0

#10 jdurg

jdurg

    Resident Expert

  • Resident Experts
  • 2,171 posts
  • LocationSE Connecticut, USA

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:33 PM

NaOCl + H2O2 => O2 + H2O + NaCl. Remember, bleach is a solution of sodium hypochlorite so the counter ion is the free sodium ion.
  • 0

#11 Bluenoise

Bluenoise

    Biology Expert

  • Resident Experts
  • 871 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 December 2006 - 02:21 AM

NaOCl + H2O2 => O2 + H2O + NaCl. Remember, bleach is a solution of sodium hypochlorite so the counter ion is the free sodium ion.


Oh didn't realise there was sodium in it...
  • 0




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users