Help With My Science Experiment Please

DeoxyriboNucleicAcid

Hello Everyone.

I have to construct my own experiment for 9th grade science. It will take place on a canoe, or at least data will be gathered on a canoe. The subject can be anything in earth science, ecology, etc.

So far, my idea is to test one type of plant for amounts of chemicles in them, if possible, and than test water around that plant. I can make inference like there is "salt" around a plant and it absorbed alot, if the plant is in good condition I could say its skill of dissolving "salt" is a good skill. I can do the same with many chemicles, and a plant in bad condition. By comparing all of the data I could see the relationship beetween water properties, and plkant condition.

If you have an idea for anoyther experiment, or have additions to this one PLEASE POST.

Thank You

Why does it have to involve a canoe?

It might be hard to measure the amount of a particular chemical within a plant. It's relatively easy to measure growth under certain conditions, say low potassium or nitrogen (which are essential nutrients), compared to 'normal'. I think low potassium causes the leaves to turn yellow and crinkly, so you could easily tell when potassium deficiency occurs. If you want to measure how salts affect plants, it's probably most interesting to measure the salt tolerance of different plants. A good salt tolerant plant to get would be a mangrove, or anything that grows near the sea. You could grow the same plant under different salt conditions if you can't get a salt tolerant one.

You could do a simple ecological study instead, measure out a square area near the river and count the number and types of plants there, then measure out the same area further away from the the river and do the same thing. Then compare them and see how being close to the river affects way plants grow.

• 3 months later...

Well I know its alittle late, but the final experiment was that I would see the relatianshio between th pH of water and the conditian and number of plants in certain areas of the nissiquague river (smithtown NY). Data will be posted in about a month on my science web site (which is not functianal at this time due to reconstruction and many AP projects).