Speculations on an expanding universe

Again, this is not a theory. (I don't even have a theory on how to tie my shoes.)

It is not a hypothesis. I looked it up so I'd know how to spell it, and found out this ain't one.

It is a mere S.W.E.G. (Scientific Wild-Eyed Guess -- only somewhat above guessing which side up a coin will fall.)

It is plainly established that the galaxies are moving apart. And that the farther apart they are, the faster they are moving. (Or, maybe there is a cause-and-effect here: The faster they go, the farther they have already gone?)

The question to be addressed is WHAT MAKES 'EM GO LIKE THAT?

PLAN A: They hate each other even more than they attract each other. Na-a-a-a-a-a-a-h!

PLAN B: God got 'em started that way. (Not scientifically determinable. Forget it.)

PLAN C: Random moving particles in free space smack into 'em and bump 'em along.

PLAN D: Other. (Specify) ________________________________________________

Going with PLAN C right now.

It is known that there are, um, particles, in the vast empty intergalactic spaces. Photons. Hydrogen atoms. Subatomic particles. Maybe grit. Possibly micrometeoroid sand. And an occasional exiled planetessimal, planetoid or full-grown planet.

These particles are not standing still. They are moving relative to something or other. Some of them actually hit something. (There's a lot more space than rock out there, so the odds are not favorable.)

Someone interpreted Einstein to have said that the universe was limited and expanding. Interpreting the interpretation, that might mean that the part of space that has stuff in it is expanding, or it might mean that whatever space doesn't have stuff in it isn't actually a part of our universe. Anyway, it could be that only a part of whatever counts as space and universe is occupied by matter.

Without regard to whether new galaxies are coming into existence, the old ones have been there a very long time and likely the loose stuff in between has, too, and been moving rapidly.

A given piece will either hit something, or not hit something. If it hits something, it may have an effect on it. If it doesn't hit anything, it might well continue right on out into actual empty space, and there would be nothing there to bounce it back.

The pressure of these various particles hitting things might give them impulse momentum in any random direction.

But there would be no counterpressure to push the galaxies back toward one another, because there is nothing outside of the occupied universe to fling anything back..

These are very tiny impulses, but there are many of them, and they have been active for some eleven billion years. Consider the infall to our Earth and extrapolate . . .

The question to be addressed is WHAT MAKES 'EM GO LIKE THAT?

The generals consensus is that the Big Bang started the expansion. Look it up, it's a pretty famous theory.

As to why exactly objects are still accelerating away from one another, no one knows. It seems that some form of energy is pushing them apart, which we call dark energy.

In physical cosmology and astronomy, dark energy is an unknown form of energy which is hypothesized to permeate all of space, tending to accelerate the expansion of the universe.[1][2] Dark energy is the most accepted hypothesis to explain the observations since the 1990s indicating that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate.

To be clear, we don't know what dark energy is. It's just a placeholder name for whatever we (hopefully) discover to be this energy that is accelerating objects apart.

So you're tackling a complicated issue here. There in no information one could provide you to explain this behaviour.

Again, this is not a theory. (I don't even have a theory on how to tie my shoes.)

It is not a hypothesis. I looked it up so I'd know how to spell it, and found out this ain't one.

It is a mere S.W.E.G. (Scientific Wild-Eyed Guess -- only somewhat above guessing which side up a coin will fall.)

!

Moderator Note

I have lost count of the number of times I have told you that this does not rise to the level of rigor we require.