Purifying impure calcium

Nevermore

Okay, so I've got a mixture of calcium carbonate, microcrystalline cellulose, stearic acid, croscarmellose sodium, and sodium laurl sulfate. I want to get it as close to pure calcium as possible, what should I do? :confused:

well the cellulose isnt soluable in water, sodum lauryl sufate is soluable in water, caCo3 is, croscamellose is insoluble but will swell up, stearic acid is insoluabe (being a fatty acid). So thus, if u pour water on ur mixture enough to dissolve the carbonate and sulfate, u can then filter it, and dry the solution- whic will leave u with laurel sulfate and caco3. The next step is to get rid of the luarel sulfate

"I feel slightly dumb, but, what do stoichiometrically and fractionally crystalize mean, and how do I do them?"

stoichiometrically add an acid. if you know how much CaCO3 you have, convert it to moles and add enough acid so that all the CaCO3 forms the aqueous salt of the acid. make sure the anion of the acid is compatible with Ca. that means no sulfate, for example. a good bet would be HCl. boil the solution until CaCl2 crystals form, then remove them.

if you want pure elemental Ca, it can be difficult to make. one idea is to thermite, or better yet, you can fuse the CaCl2 and electrolyze it. just be sure to have a good stream of argon on your mixture, as the Ca will oxidize immediately.

if you want pure Ca metal, http://www.kno3.com is a good source

ya, but u can buy the carbonate and bypass the filtering/seperating steps to get the caco3 out of the mixture u have. And its not gonna be easy getting ca out of thew stuff either way.

You ant do electryoysis of CaCO becuase its Mp is to high. Get or make CaCl2 then electroylize that. Or just do what budelgrwag said. But nontheless, your gonna need high temp equipment

But ya, if i were you id just forget about "making" pure Ca.

why not go to a garden center and buy a bag of garden lime, it`s calcium hydroxide, then dissolve it in HCl, to make your calcium chloride, then electrolyse it.

OR you can buy Calcium Chloride direct in the form of crystals used in de-humidifiers, I think they even sell them at Woolworths!