Snake and Staff?

BPHgravity

Well, I was in Kos recently and because it was raining I decided to take the tours that showed the birthplace of Hippocrates and the founding of the first hospitals. The local guide had a slighty different view as to who the serpent and staff was used, which was "we use the snake and stick because we have snakes on the island". I guess that they also had sticks and thats all they had on the island. Presumably Hippocrates used the old fashioned method of hittin people with a stick with a snake wrapped about it.

I highly recommed the tour. They also told me that the Knights of St John built the templar Castles to "defend against pirates", and not as I previously thought to defend against the Turks that were trying to kill them all.

You live and you learn.

• 1 year later...

The Sumerians had a very similar iconic emblem with two entwined snakes and a staff. Some say it signifies the double helix of DNA, but it bears a startling resemblance to our modern day Caduceus!

The Sumerians are a civilisation older than the Greeks and whom originated in modern day Iraq. They are quite a few civilisations from Mesopotamia and Mesoamerica that use the snake as a depiction of healing or medicines in some form.

It would be very interesting to find its true origin!

It is called the Caduceus and it is the staff of Hermes (in Greek mythology) or Apollo (in Roman mythology) . For detailed infomation, see here

Hermes was known as Mercury in Roman mythology. Apollo had the same name for both. Hermes and Mercury used the Caduceus.