Expanding Universe

Hi

We believe that the universe is expanding or streaching right and does this not mean that our orbit around the sun is being streached. So why is our orbit around the sun gradually not takieing longer.?

p.s.

sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum im 13 and im only just getitng my head round this.

Hi

We believe that the universe is expanding or streaching right and does this not mean that our orbit around the sun is being streached. So why is our orbit around the sun gradually not takieing longer.?

p.s.

sorry if i posted this in the wrong forum im 13 and im only just getitng my head round this.

Being an unbounded space ideologist and considering unbounded space as a property of the universe, something unbounded cannot expand. Having said that, from what I've heard from expansionists, I believe the earth's orbit around the sun would not involve enough area to observe cosmological expansion. Likely someone more apprised on cosmology will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Cheers, and I guess I've been here long enough now to welcome you to SFN. :)

I'm not the authority on the subject, but my guess would be that 1) the expansion is happening to slowly to notice, and 2) that the gravitational bonds between the sun and the other planets in our solar system is strong enough to make the needed adjustments and extra space is "inserted" between them.

Hi

p.s.

On that scale the effect is not measurable.

How about this for an explanation? The distance between the Earth and the Sun is increasing but the whole universe is expanding so is the speed of light, our rulers all all measuring equipement. The only reason we are able to measure the change in distance from far off galaxies is because that part of the universe is expanding in a different plane/direction away from us! I don't know is this is physically sound but nice idea!

Hi

p.s.

Most cosmologists are convinced that there is a non-zero cosmological constant (or dark energy) which is the driving force of the universal acceleration The paradox is that this entity has never been observed in nature.

Personally i'm skeptical about this. I think that the ground state of the quantum vacuum is both the source of gravity and the acceleration of the universe. The quantum vacuum is not empty. If it were, matter-energy couldn't move.

I'm almost sure that future work in high-energy physics will either confirm or falsify our conclusions.

Guest raul

I always have few question on the universe expansion, though never got any answer on them

Its expanding at the cost of what?

Is there any limit of the expansion?

Will there ever be an end to this expansion?

Is there any thing beyond universe?

Trying to create this scenario in my mind and getting more and more confused. Can any one please help me on this.

Sorry If I have posted this to wrong forum.