Become a New Species

Kylonicus

This post has been put in the pseudoscience section, due to the wackiness of it's nature. It's sole purpose is amusement.

If you could redesign yourself genetically, to become a new species what would become?

Also, other people might be involved, like if you could get a huge number of people also to become this new species, what would you want to become?

Also, you can integrate science(nanotechnology, fusion, whatever) into your design as a species. Like you could say, "I am a lizard man, who is cybernetically enhanced like the borg."

Essentially, this post is for making up new species, or what new species you would like to become.

Have fun!

This post has been put in the pseudoscience section' date=' due to the wackiness of it's nature. It's sole purpose is amusement.

If you could redesign yourself genetically, to become a new species what would become?

[/quote']

your sole purpose may be amusement

and you may intend this thread to be solely for fantasizing about bizarre-looking sci-fi critters, like fish-men with gills who can live under water, or bird-men who can fly etc. etc.

but keep in mind what defines a species is a barrier to inter-breeding, which makes a boundary of the gene pool.

logically you could have a group of people who looked and acted just like the rest of us but were a separate species

all it would take is some genetic manipulation (like doubling some chromosome but not even as radical as that) which would make it impossible for a members of the new group to MATE with members of the old group and have fertile offspring.

Like, a horse and a donkey can mate but the offspring (a mule) is not fertile.

You could have two groups of horses that looked just the same but which also could not interbreed to produce fertile offspring. Even tho the two kinds of horses looked identical they would be separate species.

Personally I think it is quite possible that groups of humans will split off, during the next century, and form separate species. (Like bikers, they want to have a separate almost tribal identity, and stick to their own kind. it may seem weird----like tatooing or circumcision---a permanent belonging that helps define the self)

I think this could start to happen without any crazy stuff like gills or wings or lizard scales. With no noticeable difference or hardly any noticeable difference.

IMHO This is quite a stupid thread, let us remain realistic lest we waste our lives.

Kylonius began this thread by stating the nature of the thread as mere "amusement." But consider listening to your own advice in your own posts.

Back to topic:

If I could redesign myself, I'd want more efficient lungs, hollow bones, and wings. To be able to fly on my own has always been a dream.

Ooh, and someone already mentioned cyborg. Yes, I'd want to be a flying cyborg. With x-ray vision, acid for blood, and an adamantium skeleton. Hmm, that last one might be incompatible with flying, though.

Kylonius began this thread by stating the nature of the thread as mere "amusement." But consider listening to your own advice in your own posts.
He already saw it as sci-fi long before I discussed at sci-fi. My opinion on sci-fi is not personal to him.

There's a difference between calling someone an imaginative idiot or so and ridiculing them, such as treatment I have received, based on my beliefs of something not being sci-fi, in contrast to my discussing my opinion to the nature of something admitted to be sci-fi.

I would become a hideous salamander man, with poison skin and the ability to breathe under water. That would be fun. Then I could go and slime all the obnoxious tourists at the beach in summertime.

That might be fun, but how about becoming a spitting cobra? Then you would have remote venom capabilities, less tiring than having to chase tourists down with your short salamander leggies.

That might be fun, but how about becoming a spitting cobra? Then you would have remote venom capabilities, less tiring than having to chase tourists down with your short salamander leggies.

LOL it would be in the water, and salamanders are strong swimmers. Plus people are more repulsed by some salamanders. Sort of on a side note, tourists up here are afraid of every little creature in the water when they swim, but come from places like Long Island where they would normally be swimming with white sharks and poison jellyfish.

I think people should stop trying to entertain their selves away from reality.

you, of all people are in no postition to lecture about reality. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be entertained and have fun, no one wants to lead a boring monastarial existance.

I think people should stop trying to entertain their selves away from reality.

I'm off the see the Hitchikers Guide in an hour, and I quite want to watch it. Although I appreciate your opinion, I'm going to suspend myself away from reality for the duration.

Thanks for the concern though, I'll try not to turn crazy.