Dealing with creepy-crawlies (and collecting them)

Nukeyfox

As someone who is going to major biology in college, one thing has always bugged me: bugs. Specifically, arthropods.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy them and I think of them as a beautiful and impressive creatures, but I always squirm when handling and touching them.

To those who study and handle them, does it get easier? And how do you practice holding them?

Besides the obvious fact of their gross legs and freaky jaws, I also worry about accidentally crushing them.

I know that they have a pretty hardy exoskeleton, but occasionally their legs or antennae (or any other segments) gets between my fingers and they just come off.

I have also thought of starting a bug collection because it will teach me how to handle them better and hopefully ease my squeamishness.

The only problems I would have however is getting the materials and the probably some critics saying that it's unethical to kill animals for 'no reason other than enjoyment.'

What do you guys think? Have you overcome that bad feeling? And how do you manage your bug collection?

I've never had a bug collection but I catch some of them regularly for fish food. Your best route is to start out with "bugs" that cannot harm you. I have to admit that I always wanted to collect dragonflies but their almost intelligent behavior and actions keeps me from doing it.