Mystery weird reaction

akcapr

Heres the story. I was bored so i put ammonia and sulfuric acid into test tube hoping some ammonium sulfate would be made. A day later i took that mix and pored it in a steel pan i ususally dry my chems in. After a day in the pan i looked and WOW! it turned greenish blue, and had brownish grayish little liooked like turning things in there. The bottom of the pan was nice and clean, compared to the sides which were maore grey- the bottom turned lighter gray. The orange color on the base of the pan disappeared but was left on the sides (the color form heating iron oxide in it).

im not sure what the reaction was. Does anyone know? heres pics of what the pan looked like:

ok, did you measure the amounts of ammonia and sulfuric acid before?

if you have a 1:1 ratio, you have the bisulfate. if you have a 2:1 ratio you have the sulfate.

what sort of ammonia and sulfuric did you use? store brand?

did you titrate? i think your solution had a displacement reaction with the pan. try again and use indicators. test for ammonia gas being released.

i was in my boxers ready to go to bed when i did it. The ammonia (dont even know the conc. ) was sitting out so i got a qucick idea and did the above in liek 30 sec. The h2so4 was 95% but i dont know how much of each i put in. If you could at least, try to see what possible could have happened.