Question relating to Schematic diagrams

whitesniper001

Had a question relating to Schematic diagrams, just going through a past paper and the following two question came up:

post-117187-0-92653300-1462286405.png

1. What is peculiar about these structures?
  2. Why are these structures stable?

For Question 2, after having gone through my notes I answered:

Layer structures are intermediate between:

• A totally ionic crystal with regular arrangement of ions and strong electrostatic forces.
  • A crystal in which small discrete molecules are held together by weak forces such as van der Waals forces and hydrogen bonds. Hence the reason for their stability.

​I am stuck on Question 1 that asks "What is peculiar about these structures?". The only answer that I came up with after having gone through my notes is that they have " repulsion between layers which is normally shown by the double headed arrows in-between them."

Since I don't have much to go by and I find It hard to even find information regarding this, are my answers valid? Or have I completely gone off track? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by whitesniper001

Look up mica, graphite & clay mineral structures.

The layered structure affects physical and electrical properties.and produces anisotropies in these properties.

Graphite is used as a lubricant.

Find out if the bonding in graphite is ionic or covalent then look up its electrical properties

Mica can be cut to ultrathin sheets

Clay minerals have a hugely rich structure and hold pore water in soils.