Photon→Energy→Mass→Gravity?

Daecon

well i happen to have a book here' date=' umm hold on...

This was written by Jullius Adams Stratton, and it says...

As you can see, the concept of magnetic monopoles was actually worked on. I'm not quite sure where he was going with that, but what is a magnetic field anyways?

The tiniest bit of research shows that the sun is the source of a huge magnetic field B, so what is a B field composed of?[/quote']

You can write equations till your heart's content. It doesn't change the fact that magnetic monopoles aren't observed.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, given Planck's Constant...

[math]h = 6.626068 * 10^{-34} J s[/math]

and the formula...

[math]E = h * v[/math]

where v is the photon's frequency, then given a photon of visible light with a frequency of [math]7.5 * 10^{14} Hz[/math], we can calculate its relativistic mass as follows...

[math]7.5 * 10^{14} Hz * 6.626068 * 10^{-34} J s = 4.969551 * 10^{-19} J[/math]

and then use [math]E = mc^2[/math], or more specifically, [math]m = E/c^2[/math] to calculate its relativistic mass, which is approximately [math]3.1 eV / c^2[/math]

or perhaps more generally, you can solve for the relativistic mass of a photon as:

[math]m = h*v/c^2[/math]

Unless, of course, I'm terribly confused, which is entirely possible...

Well' date=' given Planck's Constant...

[math']h = 6.626068 * 10^{-34} J s[/math]

and the formula...

[math]E = h * v[/math]

where v is the photon's frequency, then given a photon of visible light with a frequency of [math]7.5 * 10^{14} Hz[/math], we can calculate its relativistic mass as follows...

[math]7.5 * 10^{14} Hz * 6.626068 * 10^{-34} J s = 4.969551 * 10^{-19} J[/math]

and then use [math]E = mc^2[/math], or more specifically, [math]m = E/c^2[/math] to calculate its relativistic mass, which is approximately [math]3.1 eV / c^2[/math]

or perhaps more generally, you can solve for the relativistic mass of a photon as:

[math]m = h*v/c^2[/math]

Unless, of course, I'm terribly confused, which is entirely possible...

The calculations look good, but what do they have to do with whether or not I should write a more general Lorentz force formula using a contribution from magnetic monopoles, and then trying to connect two inverse square formulas on one side of an equation, to Newtonian gravity on the other? And hopefully explain precession in the process, and have results which would have predicted the Zeeman effect???????

I was just planning to do what is mathematically necessary to explain gravitation as an electromagnetic phenomenon.

The lack of symmetry between electric and magnetic fields is indeed a good reason not to build on supersymmetry. While it's true that the baryon number and lepton number are accidental symmetries of perturbation series in the standard model, is that it?

QED is the most accurate theory we have (except Landau pole), therefore i think that the real focus should be electroweak theory. The electroweak theory is partly based on renormalization groups (cancellation of infinities), so i guess there must a be some new physical secret behind it.