Moles produced in a reaction............

Aussiek

Hi there,

Just stuck on another part of study -

If 4 mole of glucose reacts with excess oxygen, O2, how many mole of carbon dioxide CO2 would be produced?

So glucose i know is C6H12O6

1) What i don't understand is - am i working this equation out on the molar mass of each (to get the mols of CO2), or is it just as simple as multiplying 6mols of Carbon with the 4 mols of Glucose to produce 24mols of CO2?

2) What i also don't get is, why would it state there is excess Oxygen, but not tell me a quantity, or mass etc. Does glucose reacting with excess oxygen change how much CO2 would be produced?

3) Is question 2 above linked to the metabolism of Glucose in the presence of oxygen producing the following:

C6H12O6 + 6O2 ----- 6CO2 + 6H2O But, will that have anything to do with the initial question being asked, due to the fact i'm only told about excess O2 but not an exact amount.

Hopefully all that makes sense, just so many question about it going on in my poor brain. So glad my next topic is Biology and i'm almost done with Chemistry.