New computer can't maintain correct date

tuanvuhn

A couple of weeks ago I bought a brand new laptop (Asus kx501UX with Windows 10) and I've been having an issue with the date and time.
When I open the laptop after it has been asleep for a while the date is totally incorrect - usually two days off but sometimes weeks away. If I turn the automatic time sync on and off it corrects the problem temporarily but later happens again. I have tried syncing with different time servers but something weird happens - the date corrects itself when I click update but I also get an error message saying that the connection to the timer server timed out.

I have checked and the time is also correct in BIOS and after startup. This issue has also caused annoying problems where my browser and email don't recognize SSL certificates s valid.

I realize I can just set the time/date manually but this isn't really a fix - since this laptop is brand new it should work.

Have tried you resetting the computer? It will keep your files if you want it to. Assuming you have Windows 10:

Type: "reset" in the Search box > Click on "Reset This PC" > Click "Get Started" > Choose "Keep My Files" or "Remove Everything". Follow the prompts from there.

I think it's usually quicker to just put a new Windows on than faff about for some unknown time (probably hours or days) trying to find the problem and its solution. You'll likely have Windows updates to do again.

Edited by StringJunky

• 4 months later...