I inoculated in the wrong solution

skaggerik

Hi!

I prepared some broth that i thought was regular NB. Turns out is was malt extract broth. I inoculated it with a few Lactobacillus, Micrococcus Luteus, E. Coli K12 and bakers yeast. I didn't have time to make new broth so i put it in the incubator for Friday and hoped for the best.

Are my bacteria dead or do you think there will be growth? It doesn't have to be quick, just work.

Thanks, Erik

Depends on the precise composition, but most formulations are geared toward yeast. Generally the broth is rather rich and there are are plenty of carbon sources that E. coli could use (often it is supplemented with peptone and/or yeast extract. One of the more limiting aspects is that the pH is typically fairly low (<5). Typically, at this level the growth of E. coli (I do not know the requirements of Micrococcus off the top of my head), is very slow and the limit is about at 4.5 . Especially using low inoculation it may not result in any growth.