Wiring a stoplight

Guest xirxious

Guest xirxious

Some drunk driver hit a phone pole running from the cops near my house and when they were repairing it, they replaced the stoplights. I asked the workers if I could have the old ones and they said sure. Now I have 2 stacks of 3 lights (red, yel, grn) and I can wire them up simple enough so they all come on. What I want to do it wire it so they alternate, something with a small timer that will just rotate which light is on. I was planning on getting a plug with a remote to turn it off an on. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

You may need a transistor or relay to get the required voltage to the lights because the majority of ICCs do not like high voltages (assuming the stoplights (aka traffic lights) require mains voltage (ie. 240V in the UK)).

• 3 weeks later...

either the decade counter or JK flip-flop arangement will suffice, as the output on these digital devices is only tiny, I`de reccomend open cathode types or standard types to drive a power transistor to a relay.

they make cool Disco lights too :)