Under way

sciwiz12

I love science, and while I gather that I don't have to be better at math per se, as tough as it is for me, I would really like to be a dope mathematician.

I'm pretty good at finding free educational materials including books online, if I'm understanding correctly if I want to brush up on my skills and really get a deeper understanding of mathematics I should revisit the basics first with arithmetic, algebra, and elementary geometry.

After the basics I should go for some trigonometry and both integral and differential calculus. For my work with computers I should also revisit discreet mathematics. From there I won't be anywhere close to a master but I'll be in fit college level and I can branch out tackling some of the big theories like number and set theory, some analytical and non-euclidean geometry, some statistics, etc... I just want to get a lot better in math, it's physically and emotionally painful for me to look at it for more than a few minutes but I'm trying to get to the level where I'm really pretty good and knowledgeable in the subject.

I know it's kind of silly but it sucks to open up a video on MIT open courseware and the teacher just expects all of the students to already know some mathematics concepts that just leave me wide-eyed and bewildered. I'm trying to develop a growth mindset but when the gravity of my mathematical ignorance strikes me it leaves me feeling stupid, and I know I'll probably never accomplish my dreams but if I could at least be a bit more ballin' in mathematics, that'd be hella dope.

I'd look at engineering, it applies LOTS of various forms of mathematics into physical form so your not just staring at abstract trigonometric transformations. I think once you understand transposition and algebra the rest fits in easier. Also try take an interest in trig, like if you can program start making polygons and using transformations, scaling, rotations, etc. This is the basis to computer graphics so you can start making games and shit.....DOPE

I've known outside students of math - not in a school curriculum - to benefit greatly and fairly rapidly from twenty minutes of fierce concentration at a time, two or three times a day, within a laid out course of investigation.

What you need also is a source of feedback and accountability - either games and puzzles you can fail to solve, or tests of material you can screw up - or not. You will learn far more, and far faster, if regularly tested.

I know it's kind of silly but it sucks to open up a video on MIT open courseware and the teacher just expects all of the students to already know some mathematics concepts that just leave me wide-eyed and bewildered.

All lecturers need to assume some underlying common knowledge of the students. This is usually listed under 'pre-requisites' or similar.

...but when the gravity of my mathematical ignorance strikes me it leaves me feeling stupid...

As a warning I must say that that feeling never goes away.

I am not sure what your level of math is, rusty, never liked it so never worked at it, had to do other things ?

So here are some extracts from books that may be of interest.

1) Dennis Rosen

"Mathematics Recovered for the Natural and Medical Sciences"

Answers lots of questions like what is differentiation?, what is integration?, what are matrices?, what are fourier transforms in a simple what is hypothesis testing?, in a simple way.

post-74263-0-29969500-1448109455_thumb.jpg

Mark Levi

"The Mathematical Mechanic"

Offers a refreshing connection between maths and the physical sciences; tries to prove mathematical results using phycal methods.

post-74263-0-08849000-1448109458_thumb.jpg

post-74263-0-03629400-1448109459_thumb.jpg

Ferrar

"Mathematics for Science"

A particularly clear textbook from a professor at Oxford for students going from upper high school into university.

post-74263-0-10698100-1448109456_thumb.jpg

post-74263-0-23802200-1448109457_thumb.jpg