Ethanol water-immiscible?

Ice-cream

All hail the mighty man or woman who was smart enough to mix ethanol with water and then think in his head: 'hmmm, maybe i'll drink thisand see what happens' :D

he had a good few hours after that i would think!

All hail the mighty man or woman who was smart enough to mix ethanol with water and then think in his head: 'hmmm' date=' maybe i'll drink thisand see what happens' :D

he had a good few hours after that i would think![/quote']

I concur. That person had some mighty big cajones to say 'Hey, look at this frothy, bubbly mess that arised when the yeast fell onto our hops and barely this past winter. I'm going to go drink that moldy froth!' :D

I thought that occured upon seeing Birds that ate the soggy grain acting perculiarly?

hence stone age man used to bags made of HOP vines full of soggy Barley into Nightclubs, in hopes of procurring a female without a sense of smell :)

No, it is not immiscible. Water and EtOH are very miscible.

In fact it will form an azeotrope. (95/5 EtOH/H2O). When doing a fractional distillation on a 50/50 EtOH/H2O solution, you will end up with the azeotrope (95/5) and water, even with your best packed column.

Getting the EtOH to 99+% is possible (however, obviously not using FD). Voegel gives a procedure for producing dry EtOH in his "Solvent & reagents" section.

ed84c,

Why on earth would you think that such a commonly known and basic piece of information about one of the most common solvents has to be copied from a website ? This is elementary stuff :confused:

No, I have a copy of Vogel's (better?) 3rd edition of Practical organic chemistry. And no, I've never seen that procedure reproduced on a website.

Hey, its my job to do this kind of stuff. And it pays very well too !

And For the record, you will never hear me claim to be a good english speller.

Also, I doubt that Vogel would give the proportions in v/v %, or use an offhand term like "packed column" to refer to a glass filled distillation column.