Escape velocity? Orbiting Speeds? Bacon Ice cream?

GrandMasterK

I don't seem to understand this no matter how many explanations I look at online. I've heard different numbers over the years as to how fast you need to get into space. So I think I have it right now. It's 18,000mph to get into low earth orbit, and 25,000mph to break free of earth's pull entirely. I don't understand how these numbers are useful however. So i have many questions are:

1. If I could design a rocket with adequate fuel that maintained an upward speed of 1mph, it would just keep going would it not? And if so, how far away from earth do I need to maintain a 1mph thrust until I can shut off the engine and not get pulled back to earth?

2. As I understand it, while we are moving away from the earth, we are still going around the sun. So once we escape earth's orbit, we are still stuck going around the sun yes? Or does the sun start pulling us in when we are far enough away from earth?

3. It took 8+ minutes for the shuttle to accelerate to 18,000mph. Is the time in which we reach 18,000mph of any particular importance if we remove fuel limitations from the equation?

4. If I fired a shell from a cannon straight up, and it accelerated to 18,000mph almost immediately, like a few seconds after it fired, does it automatically get into space regardless if it slowed down below 18,000mph while still in the atmosphere? In other words, does an object only need to reach that speed once at any given time along it's path?

5. I assume space rockets tilt into an angle during launch so they can start working their way into the angle they need to get into orbit. Is it one gradual process or do they do more angling and thrusting once they are in space to settle into an orbit.

6. Why does the ISS have to keep adjusting it's course but the moon doesn't? And does adding weight modules or cargo to the station slow it down?

7. What is the margin of adjustment you can make in your orbit and not fall out of orbit? My assumption is if I was in a steady orbit, then left my ship, I would stay in orbit, at least for a long while. So If I chucked a screwdriver (made of tungsten) at the earth from the space station, would it keep going until it hit?

8. Can the earth fall out of orbit if we remove too much material from it?

Thanks guys!

If we had no mass, these questions would be obsolete...how strange. I think by definition the relative pull and push force from other planets and the sun keep the solar system in some form of equilibrium.