Clara Tanone - Q3: Is it selfish to take lots of "selfies"?

Clara Tanone

Hey guys,

I like to take lots of selfies and then upload these onto facebook but does this necessarily make me selfish?

A lot of people say if you take lots of selfies that it may mean that you are selfish.

What is the correlation exactly between taking selfies and being selfish?

Furthermore, does correlation always imply causation?

Thanks,

Clara Tanone

I like to take lots of selfies and then upload these onto facebook but does this necessarily make me selfish?

No, that is called vain.

A lot of people say if you take lots of selfies that it may mean that you are selfish.

Probably jaleous people.

What is the correlation exactly between taking selfies and being selfish?

The words look alike, i suspect that's why people think they 're related.

Furthermore, does correlation always imply causation?

no, there are more ways of correlation then causation.

I suppose you could say there's a relationship between taking selfies and one's personal life, the relationships - one's position in the world - and all the rest. . .

however selfish that person is depends on other factors though - one could take more selfies than anyone else - yet still be the most generous, selflessly giving person there is. . . it's not simple to establish a relationship of causality here.

In fact - establishing causality is, of course, one of the trickier things in science - yet people in general life, my personal feeling is, take this too far and do not understand the value of intuition - or the effect of self-faith on intuition - indeed, of course, on to health in general. . . that is, the placebo effect.

I've always thought of it as - if it aids my health by 25% - well that is a great deal over long-term! And it's just one way of looking at it of course.

Memelogy is another big part of it - because thoughts do affect our mind and body - and they pass from group to group, or from person to person - like memes.

Exactly how all those mechanisms interact and act upon each other is not yet understood by science - yet I think we can say quite clearly, they do. I mean - more than clear - and yes, it is pretty wild - but very true! hehe. How does poetry connect up with and interact with physics? --- is a question too seldom asked. :)

And other stuff.

Nice questions, Clara - they are open and thought-provoking, so they allow and create space for some good discussions.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...