Cryptozoological Evolution

I wanted to discuss why the dragon would have[/i'] to evolve to front limbs ...

It was a mutation that split the species in two. It didn't HAVE to happen, it just did and didn't fail.

... and become a flyer again.

Environmental change. The near-vestigal wings provided a distinct advantage and redeveloped.

I didn't say it was impossible, and I don't want to argue here, but I thought it would be fun to brainstorm this.

You mean make me brainstorm it ;)

The subtleties are important in actually envisioning such a thing.

Unless you read books where they decribe one ;)

If you're looking to make a hind-leg walker, or a specialized flier or a elephantine cave-dweller-gold-sitter, go right ahead and figure it out, I was just providing a general feature set. Hm... looks like I missed the fire-breathing...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a mutation that split the species in two. It didn't HAVE to happen, it just did and didn't fail.

okay, there ya go.

Environmental change. The near-vestigal wings provided a distinct advantage and redeveloped.

good, but what environmental change? perhaps a new food source or niche?

You mean make me brainstorm it ;)

lol. I mean help you brainstorm it. Thats what you wanted, right?

Unless you read books where they decribe one ;)[.QUOTE]

I take this to mean you have? What are some titles, I would like to read them too.

If you're looking to make a hind-leg walker, or a specialized flier or a elephantine cave-dweller-gold-sitter, go right ahead and figure it out, I was just providing a general feature set. Hm... looks like I missed the fire-breathing...

Or an ambush predator, at least in some stages.

lol. I mean help you brainstorm it. Thats what you wanted, right?

no, that's what you wanted. I only wanted to slightly modify the hexopod description.

I take this to mean you have? What are some titles, I would like to read them too.

books about dragons????? um... ANY library with fantasy fiction I'd guess.

no, that's what you wanted. I only wanted to slightly modify the hexopod description.

okay then, only trying to help :)

books about dragons????? um... ANY library with fantasy fiction I'd guess.

no, I mean what you said about alternate life histories. Books like "Bestiary of the Future" (I don't know if that is the actual title), or the TV miniseries "The future is wild".

no, I mean what you said about alternate life histories. Books like "Bestiary of the Future" (I don't know if that is the actual title), or the TV miniseries "The future is wild".

again, not what I meant in the first place. I don't know of any of those kinds of things.... well, I heard of one once, but I don't remember anything about it.

• 3 months later...

I sugest reading "the Flight of Dragons" by ++++++++ if you are interested in this topic. It expains breath weapon, magical blood, and flight in a sientificly possible way.

In short:

-Dragons are hot air balloons, using H produced when hydocloric acid comes in contact with C (periodic shortform)

-Fire is breathed via venting the H, and heated via the method of the bombarier beetle with two cemicals that react to create extream heat outside of the gullet

-Wings are modefied ribcage used for propulsion and direction, not lift

And goes on to expain everything else you could want to know about dragons. Literaly.

I'm not joking.

Hope it helps, and I garentee that it will.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that common thought has them as reptilian, perhaps Varanidae or Agamidae (Monitors or Flying Lizards), but would it be possible for them to maybe be more closely related to the bat?

It seems a shame that we don't have any six-limbed vertebrates; there are so many mythical creatures that seem scientifically impossible - Centaurs, Hippogriffs, Gryphons, and of course, Dragons.