Making PCB Board

miracleblue

I am learning how to make a PCB board using OrCad Capture CIS version 10.1.

I've created the whole schematics for the circuit. The question is, what are the steps that is needed to make actually come up with PCB board layout?

I will be greatful if someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Not wanting to second guess YT2095 but I think miracleblue is still at the circuit design stage. I would say the first task is to draw the circuit components bug/pin side up then try to route all the tracks without them crossing. Try to condense things down as far as possible but remember to leave room around hot components and think about track width acording to the amount of current being carried. You should try to keep tracks as short as possible to avoid interference on small signal/rf tracks. Try to keep the tracks as staight as possible and make turns at right angles. This makes the cicuit easier to trace if needed. If you prefer and the software you are using will double invert the diagram, you could design the board from the component side but I personaly think its best to do it bug side. Remember you can use components to bridge tracks provided it will not cause interference. Once you have your board design you can then do the pcb lay out from that but you may need to move things a bit as when you place ic pads and tracks down they may take more room than you expect. When you have the design completed check everything again and again very carefully untill you are sure you have followed your original circuit design accurately, its boring but do it anyway. Then if you have the facilities use YT2095's method as its much easier. If not you will need to use transfers which is quite easy as the pads are spaced correctly and the track transfers are straight. If not you may have to use an etch resist marker pen to manualy draw you whole circuit. If using the pen or transfer method remember to clean the copper cladding with an abrasive rubber before putting anything on it.

I have never used OrCad Capture CIS (nor heard of it) but if its like eagle it automatically creates the board, components and tracks when you click on 'switch to board' from the schematic. All you have to do after that is space the components accordingly and set the width of your tracks.

I just looked at the specifications of the program, and I could be wrong, but it looks like it doesn't even do pcb layouts.

I would recommend Eagle because you can get the full version free assuming its not for commercial use.

Not wanting to second guess YT2095

If not you may have to use an etch resist marker pen to manualy draw you whole circuit. If using the pen or transfer method remember to clean the copper cladding with an abrasive rubber before putting anything on it.

you`re not, any data is good :)

as for the second part "Blast From The Past", it`s been years since I`ve done that, and is STILL my prefered method for most circuits (and yes I was sad enough to sit there for hours and do my own IC drawings with a rule!).

the pads are good but get good quality ones and Roller them!!!! any air pocket and your screwed! :(

I used to use tolulene as the cleaner, but I`m sure there`s better on the market now, either way everything he said is perfectly cool too :)

First of all, thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

Couple of comments:

you could print them to acetate and photo etch it, that`s the more conventional way :)

I do not have all these materials. Perhaps in making the real piece PCB down in the lab, they may have it.

Not wanting to second guess YT2095 but I think miracleblue is still at the circuit design stage.

Forgive me if I ask this, but what do you mean by circuit design stage?

I just looked at the specifications of the program, and I could be wrong, but it looks like it doesn't even do pcb layouts.

It is true that Orcad Capture can't make any PCB layout. It can only give you the schematics of it. However, there's Allegro/Layout that can just take the netlist file of the schematics. The thing is, I don't know how to do that yet. I think I need to go to the Orcad forums and ask there.