Molecular Element/Other things

Guest ZaP1989

Guest ZaP1989

Hi, I'm taking a grade 11 course and I was wondering if someone could explain a few things for me.

What is a molecular element? For example, I have a question that says:

Classify each of the reactants and products as ionic compounds, molecular compounds, or molecular elements.

Another question I have is: is there a difference between a covalent bond and a molecular bond? And if there is, what's the difference?

Finally: How do you know whether hydrogen is acting as a metal or nonmetal? For example: you have water (H2O). How do you tell if it is ionic or molecular compound? Since hydrogen can go +1 or -1, oxygen goes -2, how do you know if hydrogen gives up 2 electrons to oxygen to form ionic or if it shares the electrons to form molecular/covalent?

Thanks for your help!!

Nick

Hi' date=' I'm taking a grade 11 course and I was wondering if someone could explain a few things for me.

What is a molecular element? For example, I have a question that says:

Classify each of the reactants and products as ionic compounds, molecular compounds, or molecular elements.

[/quote']

I would guess that hydrogen as H2 would be considered a molecular element, as contrasted with water, H2O which would be a molecular compound.

Molecular elements are elements which exist as a compound of more than one atom in their pure form. The elements H, O, N, Cl, Br, I, and F all exist as diatomic molecules in their pure form and not as single atoms like Mercury, Lead, Sodium, etc. Two other elements which actually exist as molecular substances and not as solitary atoms are Phosphorus and Sulfur. However, people generally write them out in equations as P and S and not as P4 and S8 like they should be written as.

H2

O2 (O3 if it's ozone)

N2

Cl2

Br2

I2

F2

P4

S8

Finally: How do you know whether hydrogen is acting as a metal or nonmetal? For example: you have water (H2O). How do you tell if it is ionic or molecular compound? Since hydrogen can go +1 or -1, oxygen goes -2, how do you know if hydrogen gives up 2 electrons to oxygen to form ionic or if it shares the electrons to form molecular/covalent?

Whether a bond is ionic or covalent can be determined by the differences in the electronegativity of the elements involved.

Scroll down to the electronegativity heading on this link for an explanation:

http://neon.chem.uidaho.edu/~honors/electneg.html