Methods of extracting oil? help!

Guest [MPG] Merlin

Guest [MPG] Merlin

I am having trouble extracting oil from my simulated in vitro test environments. In these, are water maxtures of waters/sand/soil/gravel/oil and my test substance. Currently i am trying to extract the oil using Petroleum Ether, however the substance I am testing is reducing the the ammount of oil being stripped, also the sand/soil is blocking my separation funnel :mad: .

Does anyone know another way to extract the oil?

Help appreciated

Merlin']I am having trouble extracting oil from my simulated in vitro test environments. In these' date=' are water maxtures of waters/sand/soil/gravel/oil and my test substance. Currently i am trying to extract the oil using Petroleum Ether, however the substance I am testing is reducing the the ammount of oil being stripped, also the sand/soil is blocking my separation funnel :mad: .

Does anyone know another way to extract the oil?

Help appreciated[/quote']

Am I right in assuming that you need to create a method that would also work in the real world? Are you trying to extract "new" oil, or are you trying to remove contaminated oil from soil?

ed if you are using a simple centrifuge, mechanical or electrical, inside, while rotating the configuration is as you describe. Stop the centrifuge and remove the sample container and it matches YTs description. It's all depends on POV.

Guest [MPG] Merlin

Yes I am looking at the microbail degradation of oil and I need to see how much oil is left from a recorded innoculum of oil.

I thought about centrifuging, however you can not use glass tubes for centrifugation since they will crack. I cant use plastic ones as the P ether willl melt the plastic. Unless I can find a resistant plastic, even then the oil is polar and will stick to the plasic with great affinity making it hard to extract once more.

just boil it

and what will that do?

Other than oxidise the oil making it even stickier (gell like) and then you`ll have TONS of fun trying to remove it from the sand! :(

his idea of a solvent is a good 1`st step.

question for the OP, does it matter if the oil gets destroyed at all?

I was thinking, how about saponifying it to make a detergent, and then flushing it with clean water?