How are Extrasolar planets discovered?

One way is by the shifting of solar diameters. Astrologists measure the diameter of stars. Becasue planets have elliptical orbits, periodically the stars will appear to oscillate in diameter, due to objects passing in front of them. The size of the object that has passed in front of the star can be determined from this. We can tell by the size, whether or not it is a planet. Using this method, only large planets can be discovered.

Guest Droogs

correct me if i'm wrong but only a noobe with a intrest in the subject

there are only two way i know of that can detect the presence of a planet one is by finding a wobble in the star by the gravitational effects of the planet (jupiter sized). the other is by the increases/decreeses in lumiosity of the star as the planet passes infront and behind it.

are there any other methods used, if so what are they?

how far is the furthest star to have a reconised planet around it?

there are only two way i know of that can detect the presence of a planet one is by finding a wobble in the star by the gravitational effects of the planet (jupiter sized). the other is by the increases/decreeses in lumiosity of the star as the planet passes infront and behind it.

Those are the only 2 I can think of. Anybody know any others?