What is a human magnet?

Johnny5

Can a human being be magnetized?

It has been suggested by some, that if we want to accelerate human beings beyond the 6-8 g's, at which highly trained fighter pilots black out at, that the only way to do it, is to turn the human body into a magnet, so that the human being's body will not be subjected to internal stresses and strains which would tear the body apart.

Is that the only way to do it?

Is that even possible?

If it is impossible, what is the most rapid proof proving so, so that it can be eliminated from consideration?

For whatever it's worth, I myself don't think this idea will work.

Can a human being be magnetized?

It has been suggested by some' date=' that if we want to accelerate human beings beyond the 6-8 g's, at which highly trained fighter pilots black out at, that the only way to do it, is to turn the human body into a magnet, so that the human being's body will not be subjected to internal stresses and strains which would tear the body apart.

Is that the only way to do it?

Is that even possible?

If it is impossible, what is the most rapid proof proving so, so that it can be eliminated from consideration?

For whatever it's worth, I myself don't think this idea will work.[/quote']

OK since I blurted about the magnet I will explain a "ship" that will accelerate at 100g with humans aboard. I get all the "superstrength" exotic materials and all the energy and control of that energy as a given. In other words I do the easy part, the concept, and you do the hard part, the engineering and building. As a reward you get to try it out and be famous or infamous as the case may be.

Start with a big (10 Earth diameters) hollow sphere with the passengers at the center supported by some symmetrical framework so that the net gravitational forces are zero.

(You are building this far from any gravitational body)

The passengers can slide inside a tube from the front to the back of the sphere/ship. All symmetrical so far, no net gravitational forces.

With the passengers held at the center you fire your thrusters and begin to accelerate at 1g. Everybody is happy to be "back on Earth" weight wise.

Controlling your speed you deccellerate to "dock" with a dense "100 Earth mass" which attaches to your "front". You now have a ship at rest, in whatever frame you have gotten to, and are not accelerating. You regret the price of the energy bill required to get your "100 Earth mass nose" into position but it is now part of the "ship". You will later realize how inexpensive it was after your first month or two of "trials".

To accelerate forward you "release" the passenger slide allowing it to fall toward the nose then accelerate the ship to "catch up". At full 100g acceleration of the ship the passenger slide should be about 1 Earth radius from the centre of the "nose".

To deccelerate (or even reduce acceleration) you must accelerate first to "distance" the passengers from the nose first. "Control" is essential to the safety of the passengers. The distance from the nose must be carefully matched to the acceleration/decelleration.

How did I do? I guess I have a year to apply for a patent so since you're funding the engineering/building I might as well turn the rights over to you now (for a small fee, Tim Hortons coffee and tea biscuit would be about right). Anyway, be kind, this is the pseudo science thread. :D

they use reactive pressure suits to combat this effect now.

basicly it`s a suit made up of ballons, and as the blood from your head starts draining towards your legs and feet, a sensor picks this up and inflates these ballons around your lower extremities stopping too much volume entering, and thus preventing a blackout.

as for making someone magnetic, if it were possible without being ridiculously toxic, it still wouldn`t work to stop blackouts or someone being "Ripped appart".

they use reactive pressure suits to combat this effect now.

Those pressure suits won't allow a human being to sustain an acceleration of 1000g will they? Something else is needed.

I probably should have said, "won't allow a human being to sustain a force of 1000g"

Regards

Those pressure suits won't allow a human being to sustain an acceleration of 1000g will they? Something else is needed.

I probably should have said' date=' "won't allow a human being to sustain a force of 1000g"

Regards[/quote']

Oops 1000g; my sphereship only does a little over 100 g! (we're going to need more funding :D )

Edit: Let's be conservative and build the 100g sphereship first as a prototype and "proof of concept". :)

• 3 weeks later...

how about electro static cling? maybe its the new "gravity"?

perhaps you can have electro static plates that act to mimic gravity, and they could be used to counteract accelerative forces. so your ship can accelerate 100gs and you would just stand there not feeling a thing.