Chalk up another win for the Bush-Ashcroft Justice Dept

Pangloss

Bernie Ebbers convicted.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/15/news/newsmakers/ebbers/index.htm?cnn=yes

A federal jury in New York, on its eighth day of deliberations, convicted Ebbers on all nine counts that he helped mastermind a $11 billion accounting fraud at WorldCom, now known as MCI.

Ebbers, 63, had been charged with one count of conspiracy, one count of securities fraud and seven counts of filing false statements with securities regulators. He faces up to 85 years in prison, but sentencing guidelines are expected to result in a much shorter term.

I said before that the thing Ashcroft OUGHT to be remembered for is not the Patriot Act (which half the Democrats in congress, including both Kerry and Kennedy, voted for), but for attacking the corporate corruption beast. I read somewhere that there were over 600 convictions, compared with NONE from the Janet Reno Justice Department (a reign known more for its pandering to corporate political donors than for any kind of "justice").

One more Big One to go. Ken Lay was on 60 Minutes, which was screaming about his connections to the Bush White House (never mind the fact that it was the Bush White House that brought this thing to trial!). Sounds like he's getting desperate, watching all his friends go down. Run, Kennie! Bwahaha.

I said before that the thing Ashcroft OUGHT to be remembered for is not the Patriot Act (which half the Democrats in congress, including both Kerry and Kennedy, voted for),

Well, here is a different angle on that:

http://www.freefromterror.net/other_articles/gov_anthrax.html

but for attacking the corporate corruption beast. I read somewhere that there were over 600 convictions, compared with NONE from the Janet Reno Justice Department (a reign known more for its pandering to corporate political donors than for any kind of "justice").

The act is very useful in some parts, unconstitutional in others. While I do not doubt alot of good has been done with it, alot of bad has also come with it. On a documentary I recently watched it showed how arab-american legal citizens had been detained, held without charges against them, and no family was notified. These were people working, supporting their family, and basically stripped of their rights without reason. Most of their family members filed missing persons reports before finding out they had been detained. I think many were deported for technicalities on their immigration documents, but quite a few were released back to their families. No criminal charges were ever filed. I remember some of them were detained for about 9 months, in what they described worse than prison, with no charges brought on them or no conflicts with their immigration status.

I do not know the whole story of what happened as I didn't see the entire documentary, if anyone has more information as to what actually took place please share.

TT, no offense, but I'm not sure how any of that relates to the conviction of Bernard Ebbers or the taking-on of corporate corruption cases under the Ashcroft chairmanship of the Justice Department. I don't generally mind digressions or other subject changes, but changing course *specifically* to make a political point seems a bit off the charts. Can we at least talk a LITTLE bit about corporate corruption cases? (grin)

I looked at your link on the Anthrax case, and I don't see the relevence of that at all. It's just some guy ranting about how the whole thing might have been secretly manufactured by the government. WTF? That guy needs to take his drugs or something. Sure, it was probably a right-winger, but this guy wants us to think Bush licked the 'lopes himself. I voted for John Kerry in *spite* of guys like this, not because of them.

Come on, guy, you can do better than that. Anybody-But-Bush is sooooooooooooooooo 2004. (grin)

He faces up to 85 years in prison, but sentencing guidelines are expected to result in a much shorter term.
I'll settle for half that (no time off for good behavior). A strong message needs to be sent, but how strong does it need to be when billions of $ are involved?

I will admit it is a step in the right direction. What we have to watch out for is that this case is not spun so broadly that it blinds us to others who deserve it just as much. This administration is just too good at spinning the news we hear.

Ebbers may not have been under the protective umbrella that Lay has enjoyed. If Lay gets 40 years, that's when I'll start the "I was so wrong about George" thread. And if Halliburton goes down for KBR's abuse of taxpayer funds earmarked for US troops in Iraq (whistleblower document), I'll buy a hat and eat it.

TT' date=' no offense, but I'm not sure how any of that relates to the conviction of Bernard Ebbers or the taking-on of corporate corruption cases under the Ashcroft chairmanship of the Justice Department. I don't generally mind digressions or other subject changes, but changing course *specifically* to make a political point seems a bit off the charts. Can we at least talk a LITTLE bit about corporate corruption cases? (grin)

I looked at your link on the Anthrax case, and I don't see the relevence of that at all. It's just some guy ranting about how the whole thing might have been secretly manufactured by the government. WTF? That guy needs to take his drugs or something. Sure, it was probably a right-winger, but this guy wants us to think Bush licked the 'lopes himself. I voted for John Kerry in *spite* of guys like this, not because of them.

Come on, guy, you can do better than that. Anybody-But-Bush is sooooooooooooooooo 2004. (grin)[/quote']

Pangloss, sorry bud. I was not paying attention. I misread your first post or something, not sure what happened there. Anyways, yeah I agree it is a step in the right direction.

(btw, I think the guy is trying to say there appears to be a connection to the anthrax and CIA, possibly)

Ah well, no worries.

Rofl Bud...

Actually Bud you've got it all wrong. See, I saw a news story that said that Ken Lay was already convicted, and had in fact spent 42 years in prison. Then he got out and was accidentally trampled by a pack of rabid left-wing journalists lead by Dan Rather. Yeah, that was it. I think the reporter's name was Karen Ryan, and she said she was reporting for KXYZ NewsTeam6, so it must be true.