Is it possible to use electromagnetic radiation or EM wave to store and carry energy?

Nicholas Kang

I have long thought of this question. I came out with this idea from my recent post regarding probes traveling out of the solar system. Now, my question is instead of using self-propulsion power supply unit, why done we build a special tower or space station in space that transmit energy-carrying EM radiation to a probe with a receiver. (Don`t care whether this idea is limited to the speed limit of light first.)

Yes, wireless power transmission via lasers is possible but not too efficient. The probes likely already have some receiver for solar radiation which is similar though not directed, but it can be through mirrors I believe.

Yes, wireless power transmission via lasers is possible but not too efficient. The probes likely already have some receiver for solar radiation which is similar though not directed, but it can be through mirrors I believe.

May I know why wireless power transmission via lasers is possible but not too efficient?

Edited by Nicholas Kang

May I know why wireless power transmission via lasers is possible but not too efficient?

There, I believe, is usually a 40+% loss when converting from electricity to laser output; only ~60-70% (maybe more with some recent advances) of the electricity used to pump a laser will end up being useful in actually causing the production of the laser beam. I knew someone who was able to reach more than a 70% conversion efficiency but as far as I know that's not been used/released outside yet. You could research laser physics and maybe you'll find a way to make some efficient laser / solar focusing device or something specifically for powering probes! :)

I have long thought of this question. I came out with this idea from my recent post regarding probes traveling out of the solar system. Now, my question is instead of using self-propulsion power supply unit, why done we build a special tower or space station in space that transmit energy-carrying EM radiation to a probe with a receiver. (Don`t care whether this idea is limited to the speed limit of light first.)

If we're close to the sun, it's far more efficient to use solar power to supply energy to the satellite.

For propulsion, it's not just a matter of power. You need a propellant, too. Photons don't carry much momentum, so there's a limit to how well you can propel a craft without some massive propellant to eject.

You mean using photons to propel a craft?

What about craft that are not closer to the sun like New Horizons heading towards Pluto?

An exception is Jupiter`s Juno, but that is much more closer to the sun than Pluto or somehow Sedna.

If we're close to the sun, it's far more efficient to use solar power to supply energy to the satellite.

For propulsion, it's not just a matter of power. You need a propellant, too. Photons don't carry much momentum, so there's a limit to how well you can propel a craft without some massive propellant to eject.

I think that was brought up in his other thread, the use of solar sails maneuvered by radiation pressure.

Do vote my post up if you want, Sato. Thanks for your advice. I will consider it deeply and throughout.

I will accept this punishment as I have said in the other post earlier. i don`t need to repeat this statement twice, by the way. If you investigate deeply, you might found out that I actually post this post lately if compared to the earlier one. Anyway, thanks for reminding me what mistake really means. Mistake is a teacher that teaches you the right thing when you did something wrong or right but won`t teach you something wrong when no matter you did it right or wrong.