Gene regulation - ME1 promoter and upstream region

adidaae

Hi,

I've got this question and I'm not so sure about the answer. It is taken from Genetic Analysis: An Integrated Approach, chapter 15:

A muscle enzyme called ME1 is produced by transcription and translation of the ME1 gene in several muscles during mouse development, including heart muscle, in a highly regulated manner. Production of ME1 appears to be turned on and turned off at different times during development. To test the possible role of enhancers and silencers in ME1 transcription, a biologist creates a recombinant genetic system that fuses the ME1 promoter, along with DNA that is upstream of the promoter, to the bacterial lacZ(B-galactosidase) gene. The lacZ gene is chosen for the ease and simplicity of assaying production of the encoded enzyme. The diagram shows the structure of the recombinant, as well as bars that indicate the extent of six deletions the biologist makes to the ME1 promoter and upstream sequences. The table displays the percentage of B-galactosidase activity in each deletion mutant in comparison to the recombinant gene system without any deletions.

Note that the bars in the diagram show the portions of the upstream region that are NOT present in each recombinant.

1. Does this information indicate the presence of enhancer and/or silencer sequences in the ME1 upstream sequence?

2. Give a moleculare explanation for the fact that the expression of ME1 gene is activated and silenced in different times during the normal development of mice.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

post-105074-0-30903800-1400283077_thumb.png

Look at the LacZ activity and then think about how the various deletions overlap and the corresponding effect on LacZ activity.

If LacZ activity decreases, then that suggests what?

If LacZ activity increases, then that suggests what?

I'm being deliberately vague because this sounds like homework and you need to do it yourself.