Title dissertation Fermat

Function

Hello

For math, we're making a dissertation about Pierre de Fermat's life, his small theorem (extended information: use of the theorem, proof, ...) and other accomplishments in the world of mathematics (short information: what are his theorems, domains, and if are they proven).

Now, I still need to put a title on it, as it were for a thesis. I can't seem to find an appropriate, nice title, though... Could someone help me?

I think Fermat's a bit too unknown for who he's been in the mathematical world, so perhaps this could be an element in the title?

(A subtitle explaining really short the title can also be used)

Thanks!

Function

Edited by Function

Fermat: Proof that mighty oaks from little acorns grow

Now that's a powerful title ;) I might do something with that! It'd be, however, nice to put it in the title somehow that he's too unknown?

Edited by Function

Now that's a powerful title ;) I might do something with that! It'd be, however, nice to put it in the title somehow that he's too unknown?

Thanks Function. :) I was thinking to cover the unknown with 'little'. Also, the unfamiliarity of the name Fermat with readers has a hint of mystery that may coax them to read the dissertation. Those familiar with Fermat will likely get the references to proof, little, and mighty. The title is just your hook and once you have the reader you can expand your different points whether you explicitly relate them to the title or leave them to figure it out when they finish. "Ahhhhh...that's what he meant!" Best of luck.

Thanks Function. :) I was thinking to cover the unknown with 'little'. Also, the unfamiliarity of the name Fermat with readers has a hint of mystery that may coax them to read the dissertation. Those familiar with Fermat will likely get the references to proof, little, and mighty. The title is just your hook and once you have the reader you can expand your different points whether you explicitly relate them to the title or leave them to figure it out when they finish. "Ahhhhh...that's what he meant!" Best of luck.

I used the title "Pierre de Fermat: unknown notable of the 17th century mathematics" - dissertation about Pierre de Fermat, his accomplishments and his little theorem.

Used the acorn thingy in my conclusion ;)

I used the title "Pierre de Fermat: unknown notable of the 17th century mathematics" - dissertation about Pierre de Fermat, his accomplishments and his little theorem.

Used the acorn thingy in my conclusion ;)

Sehr güt gut! I'm honored. :)

Edited by Acme

Sehr güt! I'm honored. :)

gut* ;) (sorry, it's not my habit to correct people; but since this is a "corrective-constructive" forum.. I take my chance ;)

Lesson of the day:

Very good = heel goed (or zeer goed) in Dutch (my mother tongue ;) )

gut* ;) (sorry, it's not my habit to correct people; but since this is a "corrective-constructive" forum.. I take my chance ;)

Lesson of the day:

Very good = heel goed (or zeer goed) in Dutch (my mother tongue ;) )

Ach du liebe!! Ich werde die Korrektur vornehmen. :D

Aaaaah warum sprichst du Deutsch im Wochenende xd

Bist du Deutsch, vielleicht?

Ich bin Deutsch nicht. Ich studierte Deutsch, als ich ein Kind war und rutschige am Wochenende. (Google übersetzen ist mein Freund.) :lol:

Edited by Acme

Ich bin Deutsch nicht. Ich studierte Deutsch, als ich ein Kind war und rutschige am Wochenende. (Google übersetzen ist mein Freund.) :lol:

Ahzo.. Google Translate's everyone's friend ;)

But I speak Dutch, not German ;)

Zo ziet een zin in het Nederlands eruit. Het lijkt misschien een beetje op het Duits, maar is toch anders.

Now let's quit the chit-chat and leave the thread for anyone wanting to comment on-topic ;)